View Full Version : The End of TechTV

Solarix
11-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Not sure how many of you guys watch it. Or how long you guys have watched it. But I do believe it is offcial. The "Tech" in TechTV might as well be taken out of the name.

A while back, G4 (A video game network owned by Comcast) bought TechTV. Many of us avid TechTV fans were sceptical about the "merger" but kept high hopes. What we got was the axe to many great shows (Call for Help, Fresh Gear, Cybercrime, Audiophile, etc) and hosts (Leo Laport & Patrick Norton in particular). Instead G4 brought alot of its programing over, much of which was the same show, just done in a different way with different hosts. But all about Video Games. We had only three shows to keep us going on the previous TechTV programing; X-Play, Unscrewed, and The ScreenSavers (TSS).

On Thursday, Comcast (G4) decided to cut nearly all of the previous TechTV staff from two of the three shows mentioned above. Both Martin and Laura were cut, as Unscrewed has been cancelled. But the biggest hurt came from TSS. Alex (co-host), Dan (nook guy/LAN party regular), Yoshi (The Mad Modder), have all been let go. Both Kevin (Host) & Sarah (Tweaker/Kevin's Girlfriend) are still in it, but it is currently unknown what they will be doing on the show. Also believe the producer of TSS, Robert Heron, has also been relieved of his position.

Now I love video games just as much as the next guy, but TechTV was able to hold it's own and became a popular network. G4 on the other hand was only available through Comcast Digital Cable. It was not a merger, of G4 & TechTV.... it was a corporate take over.

So as pissed off as I am I just thought I would share and give everyone a place to rant.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/nyt3ma1r/Antig4.jpg

powder2000
11-15-2004, 07:42 PM
I agree, the channel 58 (in my area) has gone the way of the dodo. I can't stand the channel now! The only one I wasn't to fond of was unscrewed. It was a total geek channel for guys like myself to really get into. It's too bad and I am holding my breath that another channel will pick up the cast and at least put on a few hours of good computer and gadget tech. Let's hope someone comes along that can do this. :roll:

Solarix
11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Could a Mod please delete the duplicate options in the Poll list. Evidently, I screwed something up when I went to edit my primary post. Sorry.

Solarix
11-15-2004, 08:54 PM
I was thinking earlier today. There are a few things guys like. Women, Cars, Toliet Humor, Humor and Gadgets (Tech). Since Boobgate happened and SpikeTV had to cut down on both toliet humor and Women, why not replace it with Tech?

Steven Cedrone
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Could a Mod please delete the duplicate options in the Poll list. Evidently, I screwed something up when I went to edit my primary post. Sorry.

Unfortunately, once it's hosed like that, there isn't anything we can do about it...

Steve

kozak
11-15-2004, 09:49 PM
To me it started when they began replacing the original cast on most shows with the pretty hollywood types. The new cast have no idea what they are talking about, it made me feel awkward looking at them and I stopped watching. The network was better when it was ZDTV and started going downhill as TechTV. Once G4 took over, that just made me confused and I stopped watching.

Oregon Trail
11-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I as look back on the sale to G4, I realize that I was lucky my satellite dish (big ugly dish) only gets analog feeds. G4 is digital only. I have been spared the disappointment of watching the demise of Tech TV. G4 managed to buy out the competition, cause a lot of unemployment and leave the technically challenged public with one less source of information. I am glad I can't subscribe to that channel.

uzetaab
11-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I haven't exactly lost interest. Instead, I haven't been given a choice. G4TechTV will go off the air on December 31, 2004 in Australia.

Solarix
12-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Well, just out of sheer consideration I gave the new "The Screen Savers" a chance. I watched the first two new episodes (this past Monday and Tuesday). First off Kevin (Rose) chose to step down from host and go back to doing the "Dark Tips" and such. He is now in the "Lab" where Yoshi used to be. Sarah is still in the nook unfortunately. I have no real quarlm with her except that fact that so much of what she does now is interviews with Celebs from TV/Movies. It would have been one thing to replace the tech on TSS with Games.... since G4 is a gaming network..... But I don't give a rats ass about celebs. If I did I would turn on E! or something. And the two new hosts, Chi-lan & Kevin (Who cares what his last name is) just aren't that great. Kevin Rose is now being called "Dr." or "Mr." Rose to not have him confused with the new craptastic Kevin host. I don't for one second blame any of the past or current on screen staff of TSS for what has happened to it. It is not their fault the execs are douches. Well, TSS has now been taken off of my Tivo Season Pass, for the only thing I am interested in now is the little thing "Dr. Rose" gets to say every now and then, which I can catch in the show notes. I don't want my Tivo reporting back that I actually watch this debauchery.

Solarix
01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
It is offcially over. In Mid-Feb, G4TechTV will be known only as G4. Thanks Comcast for being Sadist bastards who bought something many liked and loved only to kill it.

http://www.g4techtv.com/html/about/press/showrelease.asp?pressrelease_key=64

Oregon Trail
01-13-2005, 02:59 AM
Pioneers are often under appreciated. I hope that another version of Tech TV can be developed and be successful. I still miss Tech TV. It appears to have been ahead of its time.