View Full Version : Future Backward Compatibility :-)

Lex
11-15-2004, 01:35 PM
How long before new PPC software won't run on PPC 2002? Do developers usually make software 'backwards compatible'?

I upgrade my tech stuff when it dies so I'm on the trailing edge of technology. I'm still using an iPAQ 3845 but can get a new iPAQ 3900 from a corporate awards catalog and may just do it. Those run PPC 2002 as does my 3845. Thanks !

Darius Wey
11-15-2004, 01:56 PM
There's no definitive answer to this question.

Every developer has different prospects - even today, you will find that some companies develop software that still supports Pocket PC 2002, while some develop software that only runs on WM2003. Some software is even WM2003SE restricted! When WM2005 is released next year, this may change. WM2003 and WM2003SE will be regarded as the old OSes (much like Pocket PC 2002 is regarded today), so software designed for Pocket PC 2002 may be a little hard to find, as it is given the status of an "even older OS".

From past experience, I would think that developers would start phasing out support for Pocket PC 2002 perhaps midway during WM2005's lifecycle. This will give the developers a buffer period to analyse the devices available in the market, and decide which versions of the OS to base their software development on. It probably won't be an economically viable option for them to still be supporting Pocket PC 2002. Freeware devlopers, on the other hand, may still support it because software development is their hobby, and if you look at today's current software market, many of these freeware applications still support Pocket PC 2002. However, ascend into the paidware from major companies, and that support starts to run a little dry.

So in my opinion, moving across to another device but retaining the same OS may not be the smartest of all moves. However, having said that, it really depends on what software you were querying. If you were talking about software that doesn't take advantage of a lot of the new features offered in the WM OS, then I suppose you wouldn't have to worry too much. Another factor worth considering is the source code with which WM2005 is written on. If it is vastly similar to previous OSes, then companies may still keep Pocket PC 2002 in mind when developing software. But as you can see, I'm just going around in circles now, because there is no real answer to this question. So - I suppose you just have to hope for the best. :) Unless you have a crystal ball, of course. :P

Lex
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Good thoughts Darius, many thanks.

TopDog
11-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm just glad PocketNAV still works after all these years :lol: