View Full Version : Can't install apps on X50v

pkdotnet
11-14-2004, 04:12 PM
I just received my X50v and was settling in to install a bunch of apps on it. I've had a lot of troubles.

For example, Pocket Money for Microsoft Money 2004. No matter where I tell it to install to, it always ends up in the Built-In Storage. During installing, a message appears that the program may not display correctly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile. The icon it creates in Start Menu/Programs does not work (Cannot find moneyce). Clicking the executable through File Manager does work. The today screen plug-in is not registered, so it is not available to add to the Today screen. Top it all off with the fact that Microsoft Money is not an available option for ActiveSync. Disconnect, click Options, check Microsoft Money, reconnect, Money drops out of the Syncing list. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, soft reset, hard reset, held one hand in the air while jumping up and down, and nothing helps.

Another example is Weather To Go featured on the home page. It installs without error, but never actually gets installed. No icons. No files in the Tonaya Weather To Go folder. Nothing.

Pocket Informant 4.6.2 (my last purchased version) also gives the "designed for a previous version" message.

Keep in mind I have been a SmartPhone user for over a year now, so I have been out of the PocketPC scene for a while. Is this a problem with the VGA OS?

I am about to give up.

Thanks for any tips.

: PK

globaloffice
11-14-2004, 05:25 PM
I personally wouldn't be trying to install a bunch of older apps to a VGA unit, but YMMV. I'm running all apps that are VGA aware, and not an issue at all. PI 5.5 Dockware, etc..

While the "designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile" is an error that may be benign, it's there for a reason :-)

-Roger

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2004, 08:43 PM
While I wouldn't go so far as saying you should stay with VGA aware programs, I would echo that you probably should stick with those that are specifically indicated as working with WM2003. There were significant OS changes between 2002 and that. Most vendors have upgraded to support WM2003, though some haven't figured out the 'not designed for this version thing' when loaded on a second edition device. That has to do with their implicit support for landscape view. A great many work just fine despite the warning, in both orientations.

I do believe Money 2005 of PPC is out, if that is an important app to you.

bmurphy
11-15-2004, 04:30 AM
I've had problems installing with MS Reader with the x30 and gave up and installed mobipocket reader. I hope to have the x50v soon (so they say... I had to re-order after waiting more than a month). I had downloaded the latest MS reader, and that just didn't work. I've also seen that my bank doesn't support 2005 MSMoney (they say ..coming soon!!) So 2005 is almost too new to be using yet.

christak
11-15-2004, 04:56 AM
"Another example is Weather To Go featured on the home page. It installs without error, but never actually gets installed. No icons. No files in the Tonaya Weather To Go folder. Nothing."

That one is a Today Screen plugin -- have you checked to see that its box is checked to show it?? :?:

Stake
11-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Strangely, I've been getting this problem too when I'm installing the driving game from Dell. When I select the SD card, it'll install it to the built-in memory. However, it will also create an empty file structure on the SD.

It's a little perplexing on why this is happening since I've never seen this happen before.

So here are my "fixes" for this problem:

1) If you can get the .cab file, try using CabInstaller (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/cabinstl.shtml). Copy the .cab file to the device and install it through CabInstaller. You can obtain the cab usually by going to C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile\application data\microsoft\activesync\
I didn't use this method to fix my install problem so I don't know if this will actually work. If it works, it's the least complicated solution.

2) This is the method I used...
Let the application install in the built-in storage folder.
Copy the contents from this folder to the desktop or somewhere else on the device. It should have created a file structure on the original target location.
Copy the contents back to the location you originally specified and check the shortcuts to make sure they work. If they don't you'll need to replace them.

I suggest on trying Cab Installer though it depends on if you can get the .cab file first. I found that if you try to install an app on a SD card that is low on space, it will create and keep a .cab file there. The install will just error out indicating it's out of space. Just make sure you have enough space for the .cab file and not the actual install to get the file.

Hope this helps.

pkdotnet
11-16-2004, 12:58 AM
That one is a Today Screen plugin -- have you checked to see that its box is checked to show it?? :?:

It is not listed on the Today screen settings. I cannot find any files the application installed. There is only an empty folder. :(