View Full Version : return my X50V?

ChemNerd
11-14-2004, 02:48 AM
I don't know if it's me or what ever is wrong. My poor little Axim simply does not want to work right for me. In the week I've had it I've had to hard reset it 3 times and I am soft resetting it on average - about 3 times a day to solve some issue - either active sync, wi-fi, bluetooth, or things randomly disapearing from the system's menu.

I called today to try and schedule an exchange and I essentially waited an hour before talking to anyone and finally only got help because I went online instead. This put me in an aweful mood and I asked to just return the device instead.

The systems are down so I have to call back tomorrow evening to get them to inniate the return procedure.

I've already posted about activesync and it seems to be working now, but the other issues mainly wi-fi and bluetooth are still existant.

Am I expecting too much from this? I accept that things can have problems - but to me this is just a joke. I never remember my iPaq 4350 having problems like this. And I know that WM2003 SE is new and VGA is new - but to me thats not really an excuse for something to work poorly. Will I suffer the same frustration with any other device I buy? Is my Axim just extremely messed up?

I'm not trying to complain, but I'm just frustrated - I'm at a loss of what to do. Are any of the other Axim owners having to reset so often for problems that seem to have no real cause? Are all ppcs like this now?

I'm sorry for any whining or such.

Raynne
11-14-2004, 03:49 AM
You may have just ended up with a bad unit. You may want to just try an exchange at first, and see if the next unit is better.

ChemNerd
11-14-2004, 04:06 AM
I'm definatly thinking about that. No harm in it as such and I keep hearing wonderful things about it - so there obviously must be something worth while.

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2004, 05:20 AM
I haven't had the time to load much onto mine so it is a fairly pristene unit still. I have however been playing with it for a week now and have had no problems. I've been playing a lot with MP10 and the sync capabilities with the desktop MP.

In any case, there have been lots of X50s received at this point and there hasn't been an inordinate amount of complaint. I'd say give a replacement a shot. Bad units do happen, from every manufacturer. BTW, have you loaded much onto yours that may be causing your issues?

ChemNerd
11-14-2004, 07:46 AM
I have loaded software - mostly a few little games and a messaging client (from aim and yahoo). I'd imagine it might cause some problem - but I have not noticed any patern to it really. Sometimes I get a message saying "network card in socket 2" and I can't connect via wi-fi until I reset the device. I don't see why any software would cause that really. And the bluetooth manager just not popping up regardless of how many times I tried to open it. The fact that the other bluetooth device couldn't see my ppc - but I could see it - kinda strange if you ask me.

I understand people make bad units, so thats why I'm willing to exchange it. I was however EXTREMELY mad about it taking an hour to get in touch with someone and finally when I did it was on the net. The phone was still on hold the entire time and to me that was insane and frankly thinking about it just makes me want to return it based on that. I mean I'm willing to wait, but for an hour and still not to be helped is just a joke. Reminds me of having Sprint *shudders*.

Thanks for the advice, the positive response is helpful to my decission. And in the end it's much cheaper than the alternatives. Even the middle ranged HPs are the same. So I think I need to give it another shot before I try HP's 4700 series.

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I certainly don't wish to defend Dell, after it took them 4 weeks to send me an X50, while sending units to those ordering after me within a week :evil: , but, having had a unit replaced, I found that process very prompt and easy. The next day'ed me the new unit and had the label on the box to send the bad one back. This was an X30, in which the sync connector broke, and the units had been out for a while. Hopefully you get decent replacement service with this new unit, and possibly short supply.

Maybe try playing with the new one naked, (pristine) for a day or two before loading up stuff to see if it is stable out of the box. Truthfully I haven't even had to look for the reset button on mine yet.

famousdavis
11-14-2004, 10:43 PM
FWIW, I have an X50 and occasionally I have to soft reset to clear up some problem. My Fitaly beta sometimes won't work, but a soft reset always clears it up. Sometimes the WiFi seems goofed up, too, but a soft reset straightens up things. I've had no serious problem needing a hard reset, and generally my X50 has been reliable and stable. It's a keeper.

ChemNerd
11-14-2004, 11:25 PM
I understand that soft resets are a part of use - I honestly do. But If I have to do it more than once a week I find it a bit much. And to have to do it multiple times a day is just a joke to me.

All in all I'm fairly happy with the device, but it just seems to not want to work very often and that hour on hold put a terrible taste in my mouth.

I'll give it another shot, no one else seems to be having as many problems with it as I am so I have to give them the benifit of the doubt that mine is just broken.

I'm willing to live with a few things here and there - but having to hard reset the device 3 times in a week and soft reseting it multiple times a day is nothing something that should be happening. I'm glad to see that people agree and I'm just expecting too much from it.

Thanks to everyone again. I'll let you know how the exchange goes.

bmurphy
11-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Iv'e been on the phone to Dell at least 5 times to try and figure out what happened to my order for an upgrade to x50v, and the second last time was at least 2 hrs, with no real help. I finally managed to talk to someone who actually know what is going on, and managed to re-order. So I understand how frustrating it is.
That being said... I have had great luck with the x30 in the wi-fi and bluetooth apps (using it now) and haven't touched to reset at all. I only had trouble withMSreader and I think that is MS 's problem not the unit. I would second the response to replace, the Dell guy said that the x50v is incredible and well worth the upgrade.

famousdavis
11-15-2004, 05:58 AM
I have had great luck with the x30 in the wi-fi and bluetooth apps (using it now) and haven't touched to reset at all. I only had trouble withMSreader and I think that is MS 's problem not the unit. I would second the response to replace, the Dell guy said that the x50v is incredible and well worth the upgrade.

Like you, I first ordered the X30 -- it was on sale -- but as soon as I got it, I didn't like the way it looked or felt. I really didn't like the boxy design, and I didn't care for the ultralight feel of it (felt cheap to me).

Conversely, after I upgraded to the X50v, I find the X50 to be a much nicer PPC. Feel great. Looks good. Very powerful. The VGA screen is the best, although now I have to await various software upgrades that are VGA optimized. It's not a perfect unit -- I still get computing glitches here and there -- but it's very good overall. I'm hopeful that whenever Windows Mobile 2005 is released, Microsoft will have created a portable operating system that is equal to the stability of Windows XP (which I've found wonderfully stable over the last 3 years). Of course, it'd be nice to think that Dell would offer a ROM upgrade to that new OS, but I'm not counting on that...

cani_rat
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
I just recv'd my X50v last Thursday and by Saturday I had done 2 hard resets after the device locked up. I can't even tell you how many times I had to do a soft reset! This is my first Pocket PC so some of these problems could be due to my own ignorance but, I only installed apps that were recommend on this and other sites. By Sunday I had other issues with the screen alignment which seemed to last about 30 minutes between alignments before everything was hosed. Even with no additional software installed I am still having issues with the screen alignment. When I do have to align the screen, I have to go through the process 10 or more times before the screen alignment app closes! Anyway, I called Dell yesterday and sent them an e-mail today to get the process started to get a replacement unit. I hope this was just a bad unit because it is hard enough for me to make the switch from Palm to Pocket PC! :roll:

ChemNerd
11-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Well much to my suprise with what happened with my Dell conversation today.

I got in touch with them and gave them the case refrence number. I said that I had done some thinking and decided to have the Axim replaced instead of returning it. For some reason this seemed to cause confussion and I had to explain this three times. I made the comment that I could just return it if it was that big a deal and possibly reorder it later. The rep responded that that was probably a better idea and then I sat on hold for another 8 minutes while she processed the order.

Kinda strange that they'd rather have me just return it, possibly knowing I won't reorder, than to just try and help me keep their product. Okay Dell - I'll do that.

At current I have plans to reorder it in a few weeks (when they return the money to me - can't afford it now). But I'm still very sketchy on this whole thing. First the odd delays, then the problems, the horrible response times and now them saying they'd rather me return it instead.

And darn HP for tempting me with those sweet bluetooth headphones. Darn them!

I'm open to further comments. I appreciate everyone. And sorry to cani_rant about your Dell - from my experience the Axim is kinda messed up, but others say wonderful things. Please however do not let this put a bad taste for PPCs in your mouth - I promise they're wonderful.

-edit-
PS: Any suggestions for a PPC other than the Axim in case I decide to abandon all hope?
:twisted:
-edit-