View Full Version : VERY slow IPAQ 5550

Greg C
11-13-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm on my fourth IPAQ 5550 in a year and this one doesn't work any better than the others. It runs glacially slow because I have several pocket word files in memory. Even the brand new IPAQ HP gave me recently is taking up to 90 seconds to save a file of about 15k. It locks up and requires a soft boot to add new data. This is with a full battery and more than 110 MB free space in main memory (16 MB in use) and 226 MB free on the storage card (18 MB in use). This is not a new problem. I began complaining to tech support about this last January. I have spent countless hours on the phone with tech support and HP engineers. Tech support has duplicated the problem with its own machines and engineering has blamed it on Microsoft.

Any suggestions?

Darius Wey
11-13-2004, 03:20 AM
This may have to do with a memory leak problem in the OS. I've never come across it myself but I have heard of someone else having the same problem before.

Have you tried updating the ROM? This may fix the problem. You can download HP updates here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5643.html).

nitestrike
11-13-2004, 07:16 AM
This is only a suggestion, and something I have seen other places. Make sure to have a My Documents folder in all storage locations, and also in the tools -> options in both Word and Excel change "Display in list view" to their respective document type. I know this sounds like it would not ave any affect on saving or the function of application itself, but it seemed to work for me when I was having issues with Word and Excel running slow.

Greg C
11-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.