View Full Version : It was going to happen...but so soon? (MS tops in handheld OSes)

Stake
11-12-2004, 07:35 PM
I think a lot of us knew that MS was going to eventually lead the global handheld market past PalmOne but who knew that it was going to be in 2004? I just hope that MS doesn't relax and continue to innovate instead of resting on its laurels like Palm did.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+grabs+lead+in+handheld+market/2100-1041_3-5450022.html?tag=nefd.top

Jason Dunn
11-12-2004, 07:38 PM
You can rest assured that even if Palm craters, Symbian will keep Microsoft on their toes for quite a few more years...

applejosh
11-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Well, having multiple vendors helps, also. With the PalmOS, there were two big names, PalmOne and Sony (now departed). And with the acquisition of Handspring, PalmOne looks like they're starting to give up on the dedicated PDA and are going to focus on intergated devices (ala Treo). It's kind of sad. I always like the PalmOS, but lately, they seem content on delivering low end devices that appeal to the masses and are neglecting the high end people (who are generally the ones who the low end users ask for advice). After recommending Palm devices to clients and such for years, I've recently told people that the Windows Mobile platform is probably much more actively developed, and generally offers more bang for their buck (especially the Axim line). (My opinion of the T5 "flagship" cements that line of thinking.) As much as I'd like to see Palm rebound, I don't think it will happen any time soon. (I kind of like the way Palm and PPC went head to head. I think it benefitted both platforms.) And even though Symbian is a good OS, I can't think of any dedicated PDA devices using that OS. I'm not ready to have an integrated device. (I'd be doubly screwed if I lost my phone then.) And in that regard, I hope PPC doesn't stagnate.

arnage2
11-12-2004, 11:02 PM
its all about licensees.

Palm lost sony. garmin hardly accounts for much. tapwave could be the next sony, but wont. Palmone simply isnt pumping out cool new handhelds with revolutionalry/different features. (except for treo)

PPC has HP, who makes plenty of new devices with innovation. Dell makes a damn fine product with a low price. Asus makes a nice unit, but they're expensive. Mio and Fujitsu are very nice niche units.

Palmsource desperatly needs palmone and tapwave to start making new innovative devices. Otherwise, i see palm os dying by the end of 2006, unless the licensees shape up.

(just my 2 cents)