View Full Version : network program installation help

kaitanium
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
so i just a laptop w/o a built in cdrom and would like to do a network installation of office using my desktops cdrom drive? is this possible? if so how? thanks

OSUKid7
11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Yep, I did that on my Tablet PC. It's extremely slow, but it works. I debated transfering the CD's contents over the network, but figured just running the installer over the LAN would be faster (which I still think it was). Give yourself an hour or so though...LAN speeds are still nothing compared to CD-ROM/bus speeds.

kaitanium
11-14-2004, 09:06 PM
so is this as easy i think it is? pop the cd into my desktop, hook up my laptop to network, find my desktop and its cdrom with my laptop, and double click those icons?

OSUKid7
11-14-2004, 09:13 PM
so is this as easy i think it is? pop the cd into my desktop, hook up my laptop to network, find my desktop and its cdrom with my laptop, and double click those icons?Yep, it's just that easy - but painfully slow. If you can, connect via a wired connection rather than wireless, if that's even an issue.

David Prahl
11-15-2004, 05:58 AM
so is this as easy i think it is? pop the cd into my desktop, hook up my laptop to network, find my desktop and its cdrom with my laptop, and double click those icons?

Make sure you share the CD drive and then 'map' to it from the other machine. Do you know how to do this?

OSUKid7
11-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Make sure you share the CD drive and then 'map' to it from the other machine.Acutally, I didn't have to map mine. I ran mine right from \\<computer name>\DVD\.

kaitanium
11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
yup, networking drives is simple. maybe ill get a hold of a gigabit network router and use my laptops gb ethernet =P thanks guys for your help!!!

Sven Johannsen
11-15-2004, 08:45 PM
yup, networking drives is simple. maybe ill get a hold of a gigabit network router and use my laptops gb ethernet =P thanks guys for your help!!!

Don't forget your desktop needs the GB ethernet too for that to help. In reality it's not coming off of the CD that fast anyway. Even at 100Mb, the network is not the bottleneck...unless you have 100 folks surfing the net on it while you are trying to transfer files.

kaitanium
11-22-2004, 07:27 AM
btw, would any of you guys know how to get my pharos cf gps card to work on my laptop? i can get gps software from my friend and i understand gps software runs regardless of what type of receiver. is all i need a pccard to cf reader/adapter? thanks