View Full Version : 'No-bie' Wifi Question Before I Buy

Lex
11-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Assuming my iPAQ 3845 will someday die... I'm not a newbie but a 'no-bie' since I have no wifi. How useful is browsing and email on a PPC via wifi? Do you pray people don't send large files and do you seek out handheld optimized sites? My cell could work as a wireless modem but no faster than 14.4 so I've skipped it. Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
11-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Given proximity to Wifi a access point, the effectiveness of a WiFi connection is dependent on the user's impression. It becomes less of a BW isue than a capability of the device issue then. You have the screen size, processor speed and memory limitations to deal with. To get an idea. browse and collect e-mail via AS passthrough. WiFi is better than that. Actually access via a cell is not stellar, but it is usable, and some with better providers even find it very fulfilling. (guys getting 128K GPRS...I hate them ;) )

Cybrid
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Given proximity to Wifi a access point, the effectiveness of a WiFi connection is dependent on the user's impression. It becomes less of a BW isue than a capability of the device issue then. You have the screen size, processor speed and memory limitations to deal with. To get an idea. browse and collect e-mail via AS passthrough. WiFi is better than that. Actually access via a cell is not stellar, but it is usable, and some with better providers even find it very fulfilling. (guys getting 128K GPRS...I hate them ;) )
Sven,
Why bother with GPRS and EDGE? Isn't !xRTT and EVDO faster?