View Full Version : Best Backup Solution for the Pocket PC

ToddJ
11-11-2004, 07:03 PM
I have been using the Ipaq backup program that came with my Pocket PC 4155. However, it is pretty crappy. Most of the time, when I try to restore it, it doesn't work. Plus, is there one that will back it up onto my computer as well as my storage card?

famousdavis
11-11-2004, 07:20 PM
I have been using the Ipaq backup program that came with my Pocket PC 4155. However, it is pretty crappy. Most of the time, when I try to restore it, it doesn't work. Plus, is there one that will back it up onto my computer as well as my storage card?

Sprite Backup (www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html) is what you want.

Sprite Backup Premium (www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup_premium.html) has more of what you want!

Jacob
11-11-2004, 07:23 PM
The iPAQ backup program that came with the 4155 is Sprite Backup - just version 2 of it.

Sprite backup premium will allow you to backup to your PC - it has a service that is installed to your PC that will help with that.

There are also other options with the Premium version and version 3 in general.

ToddJ
11-11-2004, 07:26 PM
is there a better one? this one doesn't work very well at all..........too many errors that are driving me nuts

Jacob
11-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Have you submitted a request to their support?

I've never seen any errors with the built-in version. What are the errors you are seeing?

ToddJ
11-11-2004, 07:31 PM
is it better to have the Compression on or off? how about the encryption? I don't remember the errors (one had to do with the Temp Int. folder, i believe.) when they happen again, I will write them down and post 'em....

ToddJ
11-11-2004, 07:34 PM
It just came up with an error "not enough space to write the file.) however, I am writing it to my SD card and that has 80mb free so I know that is not the problem.....

Kati Compton
11-11-2004, 07:37 PM
It just came up with an error "not enough space to write the file.) however, I am writing it to my SD card and that has 80mb free so I know that is not the problem.....
If you have compression on, perhaps it is forming the files into one file before compressing, and it's doing that in main memory? Not great if it's doing it that way, but if it happens with compression on, try turning compression off.

ToddJ
11-11-2004, 07:42 PM
This is how I have been doing it : the compression is off and i have been saving it to the storage card. i was just wondering for future reference if I should have the compression on or off.

Kati Compton
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Hmm. May as well give it a shot with compression on, then.

Anyway, the only thing it probably matters for is to provide a tradeoff between backup size and backup speed. It'll go faster if you don't compress, but the file will be bigger.

Jacob
11-11-2004, 08:10 PM
This is how I have been doing it : the compression is off and i have been saving it to the storage card. i was just wondering for future reference if I should have the compression on or off.

Do you have the option to exclude persistent storage turned off? If you go to back up options then edit exclusion list - check to make sure that "Persistent Storage" is checked.

If that is checked then you're likely backing up not only your main memory files, but also your storage card. If you are doing that then it's likely you'd run out of space real quick - especially without compression on.

ctmagnus
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
fwiw, I've always compressed all my backup files and I've never had any issues restoring from them, on the rare occassion I do have to do a restore.

ToddJ
11-12-2004, 02:45 AM
another error: "There was an error opening the log file 3 112."

ipaq_wannabe
11-12-2004, 03:32 AM
yes, im using the latest standard version, and until this morning, it takes forever for the “Scanning File System”

please check out my related thread here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34329

- @PIE@Loox

DaViD_BRaNDoN
11-12-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm using Sprite Backup 3.1.1. It takes me around 1 min 23 sec to perform a full backup with compression on.

guitareth
11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
If you're having problems, raise a support ticket with Sprite. I did and they were excellent and very fast to respond. Now they've got me sorted, I'd strongly recommend upgrading - idaelly to the new Premium version which is marvellous and automaticaly backs up everthing on my device to my SD card, and my PC on a daily basis.

ChristopherTD
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Another vote for Sprite Premium.

My iPaq 5550 spontaneously hard-reset itself last night (1st time ever) and I was able to restore Fridays backup in a jiffy. Infinitely easier than re-installing everything!

The only problem I had is that ActiveSync believes that it has never seen the device before and wants to merge/replace all the data. This is a known AS glitch and as I had only just completed a sync there was no danger in replacing everything.

acid
11-22-2004, 11:15 AM
ey guys, u might wanna try Sunnysoft backup manager. a trial version is available at their site.
i dunno which is better but you might wanna try it for yourself to see which is better....

keep me posted on your review.