View Full Version : Wireless internet via cell, what is the best way?

Kami
11-10-2004, 10:03 PM
I need some advice. I have an iPAQ 2210 and an Ericsson T637, both are bluetooth enabled. I have successfully set up a partnership between them, but am now trying to figure out what is the best way to access the internet when no Wi-Fi is available.

I currently have a dial-up account through my ISP, and was hopping that I could directly access it from my PDA without any additional hardware. It appears that I may need an additional modem to handle the dial-up modem tones, since cell phones are generally only configured to be GSM modems.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to dial get access to a dial-up ISP without any additional hardware?

2. If additional hardware is required, pros and cons of getting a modem vs. paying for GSM data transfer trough my provider.

3. Where would you suggest I look for a modem for this purpose?

Encase it helps, I live in Edmonton, and my cell/internet providers are Rogers/Telus respectively.

Thanks for the help!

ADBrown
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
It is possible to dial up an ISP without additional hardware, but it's so ludicrously slow that it's almost useless. Besides which, it uses up your minutes. You're better off checking out data plans from your cell provider. It's a lot faster, and you can probably get a good chunk of data for the price you would pay for a dial-up ISP.

jgalindo
11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I pay $20 a month for unlimitted GPRS at T-Mobile. Speed is about 128 k.

8)

Sven Johannsen
11-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Speed is about 128 k.

8)

8O I'm not getting anything approaching that on my T-Mobile GPRS. Also the all you can eat plan. Maybe the areas we are in?

Kami
11-10-2004, 11:58 PM
It is possible to dial up an ISP without additional hardware, but it's so ludicrously slow that it's almost useless. Besides which, it uses up your minutes. You're better off checking out data plans from your cell provider. It's a lot faster, and you can probably get a good chunk of data for the price you would pay for a dial-up ISP.

I have unlimited weekend minutes, which is when I would be using the access, and speed isn't a real concern since I'd only be using it for e-mail, and the occational movie times.

Perhaps you could describe how this is done?

Thanks again!

mbabischkin
11-18-2004, 12:59 AM

8)

I wish I was getting 128k from T-Mobile in DC. Got the same plan and I think I'm lucky if I connect at 4800

gregh2000
11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
I have T-mobile unlimited gprs and I get around 56kbps. If you use your phone to dial up over gsm, you should expect speeds around 9600 bps, that is really really slow, like it was said, useless. That is like back in the day with the old 486 sx25 and my 9600 baud modem that I thought was screaming then, its like using that now, LOL.

G

mbabischkin
11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Slow yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say useless, especially if you're surfing with a PPC.

Since PPC optimized sites are much less graphics intensive it's definately bearable.

However, when I try and do the same thing with my laptop... well then we're definately talking about torture! :twisted: :devilboy:

freitasm
12-17-2004, 02:49 AM

8)

You should double check. Current GPRS configurations allow for a max of about 48kbps, anywhere in the world...