View Full Version : which one to get? dell or hp??

ipaq_wannabe
11-10-2004, 07:07 AM
whic would be the best thing to get? the dell axim x50v? or the ipaq hx4700?

both arent released yet here in japan, however, the ipaq would be released a couple of months earlier than the axim...

i was wondering which is the best thing to get...

i just got a Pocket Loox several weeks back (only a WM2003 - 610 BT/WLAN); and i really fell in love with the battery life... so much so that i cannot accept anything less... that saying, my priority would be battery life...

also, checking the specs, i did find that both models only have 64MB of RAM - it seems that everything has been made into flash... what was the reason for this? what are the disadvantages and advantages for this? i mean, earlier models were then already having 128MB of RAM...

appreciating all comments...

thanks...

@Pie@Loox

ipaq_wannabe
11-10-2004, 07:09 AM
whic would be the best thing to get? the dell axim x50v? or the ipaq hx4700?

both arent released yet here in japan, however, the ipaq would be released a couple of months earlier than the axim...

i was wondering which is the best thing to get...

i just got a Pocket Loox several weeks back (only a WM2003 - 610 BT/WLAN); and i really fell in love with the battery life... so much so that i cannot accept anything less... that saying, my priority would be battery life...

also, checking the specs, i did find that both models only have 64MB of RAM - it seems that everything has been made into flash... what was the reason for this? what are the disadvantages and advantages for this? i mean, earlier models were then already having 128MB of RAM...

appreciating all comments...

thanks...

@Pie@Loox

also, as it would sem - the axim seems to have a graphics accelerator...

@Pie@Loox

Kowalski
11-10-2004, 07:32 AM
64 megs of ram will be enough for most users if you have enough storage space in rom. this way you can install all your programs and keep your documents in the rom and all the space will be left for program memory in the ram.
having 128 megs of ram has several disadvantages:
-backup size will double(if you a backing up to storage card like me, this will wont be so good)
-the device will use more power in the standby mode, because in this mode most of the energy is used to keep the ram alive, and when you double the amount, power usage in standby will increase near 2x

Ripper014
11-10-2004, 08:36 AM
The power required to have your unit in stand by mode I belive is negliable... and you do not need to backup your programs from ram... backup untilities such as Sprite Backup allow you to choose what you want to backup including your persistant storage... (flash cards... and the such).

For me one of the biggest concerns is the lack of ram... I struggle a little now with my Hp2200 that has 64mb of ram. There are some applications that you need to run on the unit itself otherwise they are just to slow... PIM's are an example and it will not get any better with a VGA screen.

My choice would be either the Loox.. Asus... or Toshiba... but none of these units will give you the battery life your looking for with the default battery... So if you want to move vertically into the VGA market... get used to less battery life... or you can try and lower the disappointment with an extended battery... I believe that Toshiba has a fairly large 3rd party one...

ipaq_wannabe
11-10-2004, 01:31 PM
My choice would be either the Loox.. Asus... or Toshiba... but none of these units will give you the battery life your looking for with the default battery... So if you want to move vertically into the VGA market... get used to less battery life... or you can try and lower the disappointment with an extended battery... I believe that Toshiba has a fairly large 3rd party one...

if that were the case - then basically it would be better to stick with WM2003, and with the lower resolution screens (??)

however, my present Loox (610) has a much lower battery rating, but it just keeps going and going...

Stephen Beesley
11-10-2004, 02:18 PM
For me, I fear it is going to com down to price. I really like the styling and features of the HP 4700, especially the 4inch screen (not sold on the touchpad though), but I figure it is going to set me back about twice as much as the dell will here in Ireland. For the money the Dell seems the best value of the vga offerings and at 3.7 inchs the screen is not to much smaller than my current toshiba e755. Plus the dell does have the video card.

famousdavis
11-10-2004, 11:37 PM
I've got the X50v and have used it about a week now. Thus far, there is a lot I like about it, only a few things I dislike. I love the crisp display. It's extremely capable and, thus far, stable. The design and feel is really good, although I missed having my slender feel from my iPAQ 1910.

My quibbles? The screen reflects a lot of light -- as probably all screens do -- but there aren't a lot of choices yet for an antiglare screen protector. The stylus is hard to remove and re-insert. I have to use my fingernail to remove, and it has to be re-inserted "just so", which is unlike my 1910 which just sort of always slipped back into place without much fuss.

Kati Compton
11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I've got the X50v and have used it about a week now. Thus far, there is a lot I like about it, only a few things I dislike. I love the crisp display. It's extremely capable and, thus far, stable. The design and feel is really good, although I missed having my slender feel from my iPAQ 1910.

My quibbles? The screen reflects a lot of light -- as probably all screens do -- but there aren't a lot of choices yet for an antiglare screen protector. The stylus is hard to remove and re-insert. I have to use my fingernail to remove, and it has to be re-inserted "just so", which is unlike my 1910 which just sort of always slipped back into place without much fuss.

I keep trying to "put my stylus back" in the headphone port. I liked the weirdo X5 stylus better because there was only one way to insert it wrong, as opposed to having to turn it each time to get it exactly in.

The screen is quite glare-y, yes. But it's been so long since I've used a "naked" screen, that it's possible my old one was that way too. I went to order a WriteShield, and they don't recommend the anti-glare one for the VGA devices because it will apparently cause pixellation. So I'm slightly frustrated because I want anti-glare, but I don't want to ruin my display.

This thing is REALLY a mirror when it's off. I could apply makeup using it.

That being said, it's a really nice device. I got the extended battery yet, but I haven't used it as I've been too busy to put my new toy (Ziggy) through it's paces. Maybe over the weekend I'll see what it's like.

For those concerned about battery life, I believe there was a post about the extended battery life. As long as you don't mind extra depth, it's a good way to handle the VGA/battery problem. The 4700 clearly has a longer battery life, but for me, the other issues (touchpad instead of d-pad) were more important. Of course, if the 830 were available here, I might have gotten that instead despite the bulk.