View Full Version : Ideas for programming??

Typhoon
11-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Sometimes I think that it would help me greatly if I had projects to work on for programming when I am not studying algorithms/data structures. Does anyone have any ideas that I can work on? Or any recommendations? For example, a Window Explorer like the File Explorer for the PPC? Currently I am using VB .Net and C++. I have not delve into MFC yet. I'm not looking for revolutionary ideas to make money off of, but I just need something challenging. I don't know what you guys think of this...but I am working on an IDE for Pocket GCC and other compilers (I know it is real simple), but I am making it because it should come in handy for me (if all I have is a PDA and I want to test out algorithms or something while I have some time to kill away from home). I wanted to integrate the IDE w/a mulit-document viewer so that students can look at an eBook and program at the same time...does this sound like a good idea? This one shouldn't take too long.

Kowalski
11-09-2004, 08:17 AM
a program like picsel browser found in sigmarion III would be a good project, but will take much more sleepless nights and surely require a team work.

i have two suggestions for you:
1)there is a today plugin which adjusts the backlighting of ipaqs, but the author didnt implement the most important part, some devices have 4-5 levels, while my 2215 has more than 20, and if i adjust the slider to max(only 4 levels) ovbiously it doesnt max the backlight. you can solve this problem and make such a program work for all ipaqs
2)if you go to xda developers site, they have made a program to rotate the screen orientation on the fly, i knew it wouldnt work on my machine but i tried anyway, and the result costs me a full restore :)
take a look at this program and maybe you can make it work on ipaqs

Typhoon
11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Hmmm... let me see about this... BTW...what is the web address to the XDA developer site?

surur
11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Please make this very simple program, which I would buy for $15 (maybe $20 if its very good)

Basically its a client and server. The server is on your desktop, the client on your pocketpc.

The server serves jpeg's from the desktop in some order you have specified previously (e.g. random, all files (and sub-directories) from your whole My Pictures directory, or just one directory etc). The pictures may be resized (in memory) prior to transmission.

The client works as a screensaver, and may even work as a plug-in to PocketCandy. That should save you some time, as you would not have to implement detection of idle time etc.

You will need to detect if the pocketpc is cradled. If it is, it tries to contact the server. If it does, it downloads a stream of pictures and displays then, never taking up more than a megabyte or 2 of memory by deleting all but the last 5-10 pictures.

If its not cradled you can loop through the last 5-10 pictures which are still in the cache on the pocketpc.

Alternatively you could make the server accessible via the internet, so that you could access it via e.g. wifi or gprs (which is why its usefull to resize the images on the server, to save bandwith and time).

Of course password protection and buffer overflow safety is vital :)

The justification for this project is that it is very common to have a picture on your desk of your children etc, but that one often have gigabytes of pictures on your deskptop PC that you never see.

There are other solutions, but they all have some problems. The usual limitations are that they only display pictures already on the pocketpc, or that they dont make available the whole directory and subdirectories on your hard drive, therefore excluding most picutures.

If you have skilz :) im sure you could make a working protoype in a week or two (I did this myself in eVB) and have a polished saleble product in a few months.

Please contact me if you wish to discuss "client specifications" in more depth, or want some-one to betatest your software.

Surur

Kowalski
11-09-2004, 07:19 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=65762#65762
is the address of the topic which the program called SRS is discussed

also take a look at here
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=1229#7036

Typhoon
11-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Please make this very simple program, which I would buy for $15 ...

Wow this sounds pretty simple. I can imagine how some people would like the idea... maybe I should give this a shot. It will make me look into how to stream data wirelessly. So you want the images streamed and not stored, right? And the last 10-15 images reviewable. Let me see what I can come up with.

Typhoon
11-09-2004, 10:54 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=65762#65762
is the address of the topic which the program called SRS is discussed

also take a look at here
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=1229#7036

Thanks... let me see...

surur
11-10-2004, 12:23 AM

Wow this sounds pretty simple. I can imagine how some people would like the idea... maybe I should give this a shot. It will make me look into how to stream data wirelessly. So you want the images streamed and not stored, right? And the last 10-15 images reviewable. Let me see what I can come up with.

Yes, it SHOULD be simple (and hopefully it is :) ) and I dont really know why some-one hasn't done it before. I would have thought it obvious to use a cradled pocketpc as a secondary display for e.g. photos, but also for things like processor load, weather info, clock, RSS feeds etc. Ive got a 17 inch LCD, but would not mind adding the 3.5 inches of my pocketpc in some way.

Surur

Typhoon
11-10-2004, 08:02 AM

Yes, it SHOULD be simple (and hopefully it is :) ) and I dont really know why some-one hasn't done it before. I would have thought it obvious to use a cradled pocketpc as a secondary display for e.g. photos, but also for things like processor load, weather info, clock, RSS feeds etc. Ive got a 17 inch LCD, but would not mind adding the 3.5 inches of my pocketpc in some way.

Surur

You wanted to also use the Pocket PC as a weather info display for the PC?

surur
11-10-2004, 09:22 AM
In the future. No need for feature creep now :)

Lets keep it simple now. In the future I envision something similar to a side bar, but not on your main screen.

Much more complicated, but certainly quite possible.

Surur

Typhoon
11-10-2004, 01:15 PM
This is a bit off the topic of this thread buttttt.... have you guys ever used VB .Net and all of the sudden your application (in the design area) disappears? It has happened to me twice already.

Typhoon
11-14-2004, 05:20 AM
About the picture streaming application... I'll let you know when I get started. See you guys around.

Kati Compton
11-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Forget the IDE - I'd be happy to have a good text editor with syntax highlighting. ;)

Typhoon
11-14-2004, 09:01 AM
lol oh ok. I haven't implemented syntax highlighting. Let me see if I can get it down this week though...and post it up or something...

Kowalski
11-14-2004, 09:06 AM
i dont think syntax highlighting could be possible, or if somebody wants to make it he will have to implement everthing from the beginning.
Because in win32 syntax highlighting is a part of richedit control (aka richedxx.dll) the control and the dll is missing in windowsCE operating system

surur
11-14-2004, 11:08 AM
About the picture streaming application... I'll let you know when I get started. See you guys around.

Thanks for taking it on! :) I will look forward to using it in the next few months.

Imagine Im sitting in my office, with my xda 2 in its cradle, connected via wifi, streaming pictures from home.....

Surur