View Full Version : Ipaq 2210 soft-reset to power-on

bspline
11-07-2004, 12:33 AM
I've been having this problem more and more frequently...
Most of the times I am to turn on my 2210, the power button won't work, and I have to soft-reset to get it working.

This happened sporadically, and it's too frequent now, maybe 50% of the time.

After a hard reset (ROM 1.10) on purpose, I have installed only Sprite Backup, Battery Bar, Journal Bar and eReader.

Still happens.

Any thoughts?

ChunkyMonkey
11-07-2004, 02:17 AM
When I worked in IT support I had a person with the same problem with an Axim. Turned out though, that they were holding the button too long. it would just cause the backlight to toggle off and on. Tapping the button, it would work just fine.

I hope that this might be the case with you.

Good luck.

ctmagnus
11-07-2004, 02:29 AM
If the above doesn't work, try taking the battery out for 30 seconds or so, then reinserting it.

bspline
11-07-2004, 03:39 AM
The button isn't the problem, I've never had problems with that. Just took out the battery, but doesn't look good, as I had to soft-reset to turn it on just when I replaced the battery.

A thing I just noticed is that the battery got drained... When I turned my Ipaq off, battery was at 98%, and now, after this procedure (and about four hours since turning it off) battery is at 83%.

I haven't installed the SDIO patch and I do have a SD inserted, but the power-on problem happened before, when I had the patch installed.

ctmagnus
11-07-2004, 05:36 AM
And all your other rom updates are up-to-date? If so, is the unit still under warranty? That may be your only fix. :(

bspline
11-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Ok, until further notice, I seem to have found the culprit, unlikely as it is: PDair's 3 in One Stylus.

The full story: After resigning myself to having to send my Ipaq back to HP, I contacted the Brazilian branch to arrange for delivery. After signing a lot of documents, agreeing to pay the minimum transport fee, etc, I replaced the 3 in One stylus for the original, which I kept, and kept using the PDA. Fortunately for me, HP Brazil is not very swift (up to date I haven't heard word from them, and it was a week ago). Not a single glitch or inability to turn-on ensued.
That made me think, and last night, I got the 3 in one stylus back, and put it in the slot.
Today in the morning the Ipaq wouldn't turn on!
So that's it. I'm guessing the stylus metal body may be inducing some short, maybe, and messing up the powering on.

ctmagnus
11-21-2004, 06:51 PM
8O I ordered a metal stylus from Proporta a while ago. I hope I won't thave this kind of issue when it arrives.