View Full Version : Do the HP and Dell memory configurations perform better than SD or CF cards?

Phillip Dyson
11-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I considering upgrading my HP2215 to the x50v.
My understanding is that some programs perform slower when installed to a SD card.

My question is this:
Will Dell's Strataflash have better performance than using an external SD card? Or is it pretty much the same.

jickbahtech
11-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Truthfully I've never had any programs perform worse on an SD card. It might take a little longer for the program to load from a card (Age of Empires I'm looking in your general direction), but once the programs in RAM it should be the same as if the program were stored in RAM. Storing a program in ROM should be the same situation.

Darius Wey
11-06-2004, 04:21 AM
There shouldn't be a noticeable difference. You may occasionally experience some performance increase on the Strataflash, but nothing hugely noticeable. Once all the files have been loaded up, the performance on both mediums is very similar. The only thing that could limit this is if you have some dodgy SD card, but I'd doubt that. So you won't have to worry much about performance lags on an SD card.

Phillip Dyson
11-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm always hearing (reading rather) that somethings should not be installed on SD cards, but work best in main memory. Most notabliy are Today Plugins. Can/Should they be installed on the Internal Flash ROM?

Is the Flash Rom the equivalent of having an SD card?

Which raises other questions...
Where is My Documents?
Will ActiveSync sync to the internal Flash ROM?

thanks

Sven Johannsen
11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm always hearing (reading rather) that somethings should not be installed on SD cards, but work best in main memory. Most notabliy are Today Plugins. Can/Should they be installed on the Internal Flash ROM?

That is mostly for soft reset issues. The drivers that work with SD cards or internal ROM storage, or a PPCT RAM upgrade Ram disk, may not be established before the OS tries to load that extra SIP or Today screen enhancement, potentially resulting in a 'file not found', or similar problem. Typically just try the app in ROM or Flash and see if it performs consistantly, especially through resets.

Is the Flash Rom the equivalent of having an SD card?
Fairly similar, though that on my Dell and 4155 do seem faster. that is noticable when copying files to it from Main Ram, but not so much when loading a program stored in either location.

Which raises other questions...
Where is My Documents?
Will ActiveSync sync to the internal Flash ROM?
You can have a My Documents folder in all three locations, Main RAM, internal User ROM and/or Flash Cards. the OS sees all as one, for the purposes of file open dialogs, in Word or other apps. File Explorer will see all three as independent of course. AS still only Syncs with Main RAM AFAIK.

maximus
11-10-2004, 02:13 AM

And some applications will only go to the main RAM. Example is Running Voice GSM. During installation, it will not ask you where to install. It just installs itself on the main RAM.

To my experience, most non-system applications work fine when installed on the built-in storage. But when talking about system apps like today plugin, pocket plus, etc. they should go to main RAM.

Phillip Dyson
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
And some applications will only go to the main RAM. Example is Running Voice GSM. During installation, it will not ask you where to install. It just installs itself on the main RAM.

To my experience, most non-system applications work fine when installed on the built-in storage. But when talking about system apps like today plugin, pocket plus, etc. they should go to main RAM.

This only seems to highlight the fact that you only have 64mb of RAM. If everything worked equally when installed on Flash ROM then it wouldn't be an issue. PPCTechs have already got an upgrade for the 4700 though.

Phillip Dyson
11-11-2004, 02:36 PM
More and more I feel like I need more RAM instead of ROM. I can always buy bigger cards.

But the activesync limitation of RAM only file sync-ing is the limitation. MightySync, while a useful work around is getting to be a hassle.

Decisions .... Decisions ...

Maybe thats why I've been peaking at the Toshiba 830 lately.