View Full Version : switching from ipaq h2210 to x50v, worth the hassle?

alexkro
11-05-2004, 12:49 PM
I own ipaq h2210 now and I has been looking at x50v as an alternative for some time. The specs impress me (except for battery), but I'm wondering whether I would actually feel the difference considering my usage pattern which I'm going to describe. I need to ask you guys who had ipaq 2210 or similar pocket pc before and switched to x50v (v - is important here, because if I'm upgrading it's gotta have a VGA screen) what the upgrade experience was for you.

So here's how I use my pocket pc the most:
1. Read e-books in Microsoft Reader. Is x50v's VGA screen significantly better for this? Due to ClearType the text looks smooth already. Does it improve on VGA? How about landscape mode?
2. Play games. Mostly some logical games like Pocket Fritz chess, which don't use fancy graphics. What's the application compatibility story here? I've heard there are some programs that don't run on PPC2003SE or don't support VGA mode. Can I still use low res mode for backwards compatibility?
3. Reference software, dictionaries and the like. Again I need to know if my programs will run on PPC2003SE.
4. Review pictures from CF card which I take with my digital camera. I expect this will be a much better experience with a VGA screen, am I right?
5. CF based GPS device. This is imperative for me that I still be able to use it. I didn't need to install any special drivers for h2210. Should I expect any problems on x50v here?
6. Pocket Streets. Does it look better on VGA and does it work in landscape mode?
7. I used to browse internet, but I gave up because most web pages don't fit the screen and it's really cumbersome to scroll back and forth all the time.

Given that I don't usually stress Pocket PC's CPU, will the battery life be an issue for me if I upgrade? I'm used to recharging my h2210 once a week or so. I probably use it less than one hour a day. It holds the battery great in standby mode. How does x50v perform in this respect?

Size and weight. I'm OK with slight increase of both but not with significant increase.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks.