View Full Version : PPCW: "Surrounded By Mobile Data Devices"

Janak Parekh
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2124' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2124</a><br /><br /></div><i>"About two years ago, I always was the only one with a "mobile data device" such as the XDA and got very odd looks from my neighborhood. But times have changed, quite significantly as I am able to observe on my travels. Now, there are a lot more people using what I just call "mobile data devices", other may label them smartphones or PDAs with GPRS modem or whatsoever. Regardless of the name used, this day I always will remember: When getting out of the airplane at the Munich airport, we had to take a bus ride in order to reach the terminal. First, an old phone rings next to me and a businessman fingers for his MDA I. Another old phone rings (they obviously like this ring) and a second businessman on my right picks his MDA II. A third businessman on my left starts calling on his SonyEricsson P900 while his colleague is reading his emails on a Blackberry. And last but not least, another businessman behind me gets his Palm Treo 600 to check something on the Web."</i><br /><br />We're not <i>quite</i> so connected over on this site of the pond as Arne is over in Europe, but I do notice an increasing number of people carrying Danger Hiptops, Treos, even the occasional Windows Mobile Smartphone/Pocket PC Phone units. Once the latter units' prices come down here, I'd expect it to continue to grow as a market. 8)

ikesler
11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
I have to agree........ seeing a lot more users out there of various devices. I love that. I don't look like a weirdo anymore! :D

Mike Wagstaff
11-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Yep, I've definitely noticed it here in London, too. I almost feel out of place on the tube if I'm not holding a mobile, and Blackberry's seem to be ever more popular with business types.

maximus
11-04-2004, 05:51 AM
In singapore, you aint cool if you aint wearing any mobile data device :)

Darius Wey
11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
In singapore, you aint cool if you aint wearing any mobile data device :)

Tied to a string and hanging around the neck? :P

Raven
11-04-2004, 10:00 AM
frankly speaking, i've never seen anybody carrying their xdaII or p900 on their neck....and the trend has changed.....besides, most of the people i talk to find that hanging a phone around your neck is ridiculous....

maximus, please tell me you are not referring to that trend....if you are, maybe you got that wrong? no offense, just so happens that i came from singapore.

cheers

maximus
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Ah, my bad.

By 'wearing' I was referring to 'using' or 'having'.
Sorry.

Raven
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
no problem, thanks for clearing my doubts. anyway i do agree with you that in singapore almost everyone has a mobile phone or mobile data device....and i even see school kids carrying smartphones 8O

its a pity we don't always get the latest and greatest first though.