View Full Version : "Microsoft ActiveSync cannot open the COM port"

nepats
11-02-2004, 11:46 PM
I sync via a D-Link DBT-120 bluetooth USB adapter. It syncs without any problems as long as the bluetooth adapter is plugged into the USB port prior to logging into my user name. If the adapter is not plugged in then I get the following error message:

"Microsoft ActiveSync cannot open the COM port"

It then brings up the Get Connected box which I have to cancel out of. It then comes up with the message:

"The COM port cannot be opened. To avoid seeing this error message again, disconnect the COM port from Microsoft ActiveSync. If you disconnect the Port, you will not be able to connect using a serial cable or infrared port."

It then has a Yes or No.

It doesn't matter which I click. If I plug in my adapter after clicking yes or no I cannot sync. I must log off of my user and log back in at which point I no longer get the error message and I can sync fine.

I am using an IPaq 2215 with both Bluetooth patches applied. I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed.

I have tried changing the COM port numbers within the Device Manager with the same problem.

Does anyone know how I can keep this error message from popping up even if the adapter is not plugged in? I would like to be able to plug in the adapter at any point and be able to sync without having to log out of and back into my profile.

Any suggestions?

OSUKid7
11-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Are you using the Windows XP SP2 bluetooth drivers? I have a Belkin USB Bluetooth, and the Belkin drivers work MUCH better than the Microsoft ones.

Also, have you tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers?

nepats
11-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Yes to both. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers without success (and yes I have the most recent drivers). I have tried forcing the D-Link drivers over the SP2 drivers which creates more problems before - mainly not being able to sync at all.

UPDATE:

I had tried the above a while ago but I decided that I'd try it again. I uninstalled the Microsoft SP2 Bluetooth drivers completely and then installed the D-Link drivers and now I don't get the error message if the adapter isn't plugged in on boot and I can plug it in at any time and sync.

Underwater Mike
11-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Guys, I'm now having the same problem with a Zonet 6110 USB BT adapter. It uses the same Widcomm stack as the Blekin drivers.

Can someone tell me how to uninstall the MS BT drivers and enable the Widcomm software?

felixdd
12-24-2004, 11:27 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=313618#313618