View Full Version : Cingular's EDGE Service

yanathin
11-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Does anybody know what exactly Cingular's EDGE service does? All I heard is that it's similar to GPRS, and that got me interested. Is it a high speed version of GPRS, and if so, would it work to use a Bluetooth Cingular phone as a modem using the EDGE service with a Pocket PC? High Speed internet through a phone/ppc combo would be a dream for me. Plus, it would also be good to know this because I just got a job at Best Buy working in the cell phone and PDA department.. :D

But anyway, if anybody has experience with this EDGE stuff or knows what it is exactly, please let me know. Thanks!

gcherian
11-02-2004, 03:07 AM
It is basically GPRS on steroids...lol Where GPRS can achieve somewhere around 40-45K edge can get you realistic speeds of upto 100+K. If you have media works package through Cigular and you have a edge enabled phone (Nokia 6230b, Moto V551) and bluettoh enabled PPC then you should be all set to go - if you live in EDGE coverage area (which is getting expanded).

Note for caution. The media works package (unlimited data for 19.99 ) is only for data on the device and not tethered to a PPC or a laptop where the phone is used as a modem using bluetooth. Well that is the official policy but there are people who is using it, so with that word of advice you can choose what is good for you. Or you can be a good guy and get that 80.00 a moth data package, and sleep without guilt...

George

nitestrike
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Just as a side note Cingular does not have all that much of an EDGE foot print at this time. But with the pending integration of AT&T Wireless' network it will be greatly expanded, all of AT&T's GSM network has EDGE capabilities. AT&T also has started to "test" UTMS in several markets and expanding, this is a 3G a (3rd Generation) data service for GSM.

GPRS is 2.5G data service for GSM and EDGE is 2.75G data service for GSM, in simple terms.

yanathin
11-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Ah, so if I get an EDGE-enabled phone with Cingular and get the $19.99 data plan, I will (legally or illegally) be able to use the fast internet with my Pocket PC? $80 per month is rediculous, even if it IS faster internet..