View Full Version : Buying Yet Another One... What to do with old?

Jon Westfall
11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Ok, I just placed an order for an I-Mate PDA2K and now realize that I have a bit of a dilema.

I have an h6315. Great battery life, Wonderful Wireless, Bad Speed / Space.

I have an h5555. Good Speed, good wireless, no phone, cool fingerprint reader.

Now another makes 3 - so what should I do with the old ones?

Suggestion 1: Sell them: But if I do, I'll get the cash but lose the ability to use them in the future for something. The cash will quickly go to bills, and in a few months, It'll make no impact on my overall financial situation. I'll simply be out a few ipaqs

Suggestion 2: Use them: But how? I can turn them into glorified remote controls, or carry them around with me on a utility belt to look really geeky..

So I guess I'm asking, what would the community do in this situation - 2 (soon 3) wonderful pocket PCs that I love for different reasons each, but now don't know what to do with!

(P.S. Thank God that the sync cables from my i-mate smartphone 2 (yea... got that lying around gathering dust) should work with my new I-mate, and that the 5555 and 6315 share cables as well!)

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Find a Palm forum and give them away. :mrgreen:

Okay, seriously? Personally, I would sell them since I doubt you would really use all three at the same time. The way I see it is that you will always have a preferential PPC, so the other two go to waste, even if they have a function the other ones do not have. You can always use the money to accessories your main PPC. But if you say they would go toward paying off the bills, well then that would save you from having to save money now for it, so you would still have some cash left over at the end of the day, wouldn't you? (I hope that made sense :) ).

You know what they say? A penny saved...is a penny that goes toward Pocket PCs. :alfdance:

maximus
11-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Sell the h6315, save the 5555 for emergencies :)

Jerry Raia
11-03-2004, 09:16 AM
ebay, get rid of them. They will just turn into paper weights.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I agree with the others -- retire them. I carried two Pocket PCs for a while (the i700 and the e805), and found that usage of both suffered by carrying two highly overlapping devices. I finally retired the i700 in favor of an i600 Smartphone, which is a better complement to the (powerful, but less pocketable) e805.

Another way of getting rid of them, BTW, is to give them to family members. Depends on your budget, of course, but you could make someone's day. ;)

--janak

pagemore
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
:!: Sell them on Ebay? That's not very creative. Why don't you mount one in your car as a dedicated gps unit. Maybe you can stream wireless video to the other and leave it in your bathroom so you can keep up with sporting events while you're on the can. This way your newest one will always be fresh and ready to go. Unless you're strapped for cash, it's hardly ever worth it to sell old technology. Especially technology that you're clearly able to appreciate.

Kowalski
11-08-2004, 04:08 PM
sell both, and with the money, buy something else which you will use for a long time, this way the money wont go to your bills

Jerry Raia
11-08-2004, 04:58 PM
For me though selling them makes it easier for me to buy new ones all the time. So my 5555 that cost me say 650 really ends up only costing me 350 when I get 300 for it.

MacBriar
11-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Ahh the gadget addicts dilema !

Well so far I my Dad got my e330 when I upgraded to a 2210, and now my mum is just about to get my 2210 now I have the 4700. To say that my Mum is looking forward to it is an understatement, every day she asks me what else she can do with it - she even has me looking for classic ebooks.

Ewan

Jerry Raia
11-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Ahh the gadget addicts dilema !

Well so far I my Dad got my e330 when I upgraded to a 2210, and now my mum is just about to get my 2210 now I have the 4700. To say that my Mum is looking forward to it is an understatement, every day she asks me what else she can do with it - she even has me looking for classic ebooks.

Ewan

Now you are lucky there, the last time I gave one of my pld PDA's to a family member it turned in to a dust collector. After a couple months I got it back and onto ebay it went

bigkingfun
11-09-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm faced with this same dilemma, albeit with only 2 PPCs. I just picked up an e800 and have my trusty 4150 as well. I'm not 100% sure, but it's looking like I'm going to end up selling the 4150 on eBay. I initially wanted to use both somehow so I considered using the iPAQ as my PDA (contacts, calendar, etc) and the e800 as a multimedia device (music, movies, games, etc).

The reality is I don't carry both with me all the time and I inevitably seem to end up somewhere with some time to kill and want to have the multimedia device with me. I need to carry my calendar all the time, so having 2 separate devices isn't really working out.

The only reason I'm still considering keeping both is to use the secondary PPC for testing new software or things that could potentially cause problems (and I really love the size of the 4150).

ipaq_wannabe
11-11-2004, 10:51 AM
keep them all is what i would suggest - say for memorabilia purposes... i mean if you do sell them, im presuming that you wont be able to get a good price anymore...

for me for example... i still have at home the following handhelds:

- Zaurus PI8000, ca1997
- iPAQ 3850
- Clie NX-70V
- Clie TJ25
- Clie UX50
- Linux Zaurus SL-C750, ca2003
- Clie NX-80V

@Pie@Loox

Mitch D
11-11-2004, 06:20 PM
I tend to agree with the side that say sell them / give them away. Having a back up device is one thing but theres always the chance you'll never use them and that would be a crime.