View Full Version : DST Is Over; Update Your Timezone

Janak Parekh
11-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I hope you all (for those of you for whom DST ended this weekend, at least) enjoyed the usual ritual of setting back your clocks. If you're noticing weird timestamps on posts around PPCT, though, you'll have one more clock to set back: go into your <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile">Pocket PC Thoughts Preferences</a> and set your timezone to be one hour back. In my case, Eastern Daylight Time was GMT-4, and Eastern Standard Time is GMT-5. Unfortunately, the current version of phpBB doesn't do this automatically; hopefully we'll have an upgrade in place by Spring, so you won't have to deal with this inconvenience. ;)

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 04:44 PM
And remember to wind the clock forward by one hour if you're in Australia / New Zealand! ;) Unless you're in Western Australia. :)

Jonathon Watkins
11-01-2004, 05:05 PM
In the UK we did ours yesterday. An extra hour in bed! :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
11-01-2004, 05:07 PM
An extra hour to work. Yay!... um... Blah.

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, it seems my post time is correct and I didn't change anything. Guess that means it was wrong for the last 6 months :oops:

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2004, 05:10 PM
And remember to wind the clock forward by one hour if you're in Australia / New Zealand! ;) Unless you're in Western Australia. :)

You guys even have those half time zones. That was weird when I had the opportunity to go to Adelaide.

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 05:13 PM

You guys even have those half time zones. That was weird when I had the opportunity to go to Adelaide.

Half-time zones? :? You mean adding/taking half an hour? If so, that's just Adelaide... things...like to be done differently there! :P (Kidding!)

Jon Westfall
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
If only I could get used to living my life on GMT, I'd never have to set any timezones...

But I'd be late for everything.

kennyg
11-01-2004, 05:33 PM

Half-time zones? :? You mean adding/taking half an hour? If so, that's just Adelaide... things...like to be done differently there! :P (Kidding!)

Try the 1/4 off timezones in India! It varies from standard by 1/4 hours, but still the DST jump is 1 hour, as are all DST variants.

Kenny.

ctmagnus
11-01-2004, 05:45 PM
afaict my desktop did it at the usual time (2 AM) but I noticed that my Pocket PC switched over at 10PM the previous evening.

Janak Parekh
11-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead... we did it yesterday too, but I didn't get around to posting about it. ;)

--janak

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead... we did it yesterday too, but I didn't get around to posting about it. ;)

You know... the term "yesterday" is very misleading when we're all in different timezones. "Yesterday" is November 01 for me at the moment. :P

James Fee
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
For those up us in Arizona who don't have DST, we have to move from PDT to MST. Such a pain in the ass when software doesn't give you the option to not have DST.

Jon Westfall
11-01-2004, 07:21 PM
For those up us in Arizona who don't have DST, we have to move from PDT to MST. Such a pain in the a$$ when software doesn't give you the option to not have DST.

Simply get DST an it won't be a problem :mrgreen:

Lday
11-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Why should we Arizonans screw up OUR clocks just because the rest of the world does silly things with theirs twice a year. Imagine!

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
For those up us in Arizona who don't have DST, we have to move from PDT to MST. Such a pain in the a$$ when software doesn't give you the option to not have DST.

Not sure why you should have a problem. Both the PC and PPC have a 'GMT-7 Arizona' option in the drop down. Presumably selecting that would keep the system from doing any DST shenannigans, though I'm not sure if you also have to uncheck DST on the PC. Don't think so though. Differring observances are why there are multiple entries for GMT-7 and other TZs, instead of just having one for each TZ.

disconnected
11-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Ah, thanks ctmagnus, that explains my PPC's behavior. I got my new 4700 Saturday night, and set my timezone to CST, but when I synched, the PPC time showed an hour later than my PC. I figured I'd worry about it later, and the next day it was magically correct.

Varrus
11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Did anyone else have their alarms go off an hour early? I did, on my Toshiba e350 running Windows Mobile 2003. That blows me away, 'cause I found this post from 2000 where this was reported as a bug in CE:
http://www.cewindows.net/bugs/pocketpc.htm

Man alive!

Anthony Caruana
11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
The other thing that's weird in Australia is that not all states do the daylight savings thing. New South Wales and Victoria changed on the weekend but Tasmania changed a few weeks before and Queensland doesn't change at all.

That leads to the ridiculous situation where there's several different zones even when the cities are almost directly in a line.

Maybe the world would be an easier place if we all just used GMT or Swatch Beat time (I think that was Swatch?)

Anyways, I best be back to enjoying today's public holiday for the Melbourne Cup.

Darius Wey
11-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Anyways, I best be back to enjoying today's public holiday for the Melbourne Cup.

8O I FORGOT! 8O

Oh well, it's not a public holiday for us. :D