View Full Version : HP iPAQ h6315 (WIFI TROUBLE-NEED HELP)

Kanibus
11-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Hello, having a lil problem connecting to a web page via WiFi.
I get the error message: "Internet Explorer - ! - The page you are looking for cannot be found" when trying to access any web page. I tested the GSM/GPRS with the sim card and can connect to a web page with no problems, only getting this message with the WiFi option. In the WiFi settings it found my network labled "linksys" and states connected with the green led blinking. With in the menu of "linksys" my settings are...
General- Network name: linksys, Connects to: The Internet, and This is a device-to-devie (ad-hoc) connection unchecked.
Network Key- Authentication: open, Data Encryption: WEP, the key is provied for me automatically is unchecked with my network key entered and key index set to 1.
802.1x - Use IEEE 802.1x network access control is unchecked with EAP type smart card or cert.
So the connection is recognized, i just cant access a web page from the connection. Any one know what i am doing wrong?

NOTE: I cleared history,cookies and temp files then i soft reseted the iPAQ, still got same error message.

Kanibus
11-01-2004, 03:22 AM
Any one?

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Try changing your WEP key to a manual configuration. Windows' automatic configuration of WEP keys is a little queer sometimes.

Kanibus
11-01-2004, 04:03 AM
I had it previously set to manual configuration.

Network Key- Authentication: open, Data Encryption: WEP, the key is provied for me automatically is unchecked with my network key entered and key index set to 1.

I also set the router to no wep and changed the iPAQ to wep=disabled and still no go.

This is fustrating grr :evil:

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 04:22 AM
I had it previously set to manual configuration.

Oh...somehow, I didn't see the un- in unchecked. :oops: :lol:

Anyway, another thing you could try, although it may not work, is to enable your internet connection for sharing. You can do this in the Network Connections interface by managing the Properties page of your internet connection.

Another thing...are you able to access shared files on this remote computer?

Kanibus
11-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Well I am connected to the network (which is labeled 'linksys' by default), so I can communicate with the server. If I enter the default IP address for the router from the PPC I can alter the settings from the PPC so it has a connection. I just cant get a web page to pull up other than the router settings page.

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Do you have another computer connected to this network? If so, are you able to access the internet on that computer?

Kanibus
11-01-2004, 06:15 AM
I have two other computers accessing the router for internet. A desktop which is using the cat 45 and then a laptop running a wireless card. Both get internet access with no problems. Seems to me like it is a IE problem with the PPC.

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 06:25 AM
I have two other computers accessing the router for internet. A desktop which is using the cat 45 and then a laptop running a wireless card. Both get internet access with no problems. Seems to me like it is a IE problem with the PPC.

I doubt it's an IE-specific problem, but perhaps something pertaining to your Wi-Fi settings on your PPC. I'll look into it and get back to you. ;)

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Although it's not secure, can you try disabling all forms of data encryption? This means creating a wireless network that doesn't use a WEP key. I have a feeling you're having issues with the h6315/Wi-Fi bug.

If it works (or doesn't work), let us know. ;)

Steven Cedrone
11-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Turn off WEP, also make sure you turn off MAC filtering on your router...

Steve

Kanibus
11-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Sorry, been really busy with work and school so I have not had a chance to check the forum till now. By default MAC filtering is set to off on the router and has never been enabled. And as for the WEP being off, "I also set the router to no wep and changed the iPAQ to wep=disabled and still no go." GRRRRR!!!!! Bah, both iPAQ's I have rcvd have given me nothing but troubles, think I am just gonna stick to the desktops and laptops... i'm good with them.

NOTE: My router is a Linsys BEFW11S4 - Etherfast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Swith

Darius Wey
11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that you have invalid IP addresses assigned for either one of your devices. It may help to manually preconfigure them so that your devices have full access to each other, and the internet.