View Full Version : A question for "Help/Ideas" about "Micro-Switches"....

js415
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
I need some help or ideas about a project I am working on.

I am wondering if anybody knows of any sort of switch, timer, etc., that I might be able to put in-line, of a power supply going to a 12 volt accessory, that I could use to turn the device off at a predermined amount of time.

In other words, I want to be able to turn on an accessory that I am using on my ATV, I want to be able to keep the accessory on when I turn off the ignition switch, however, I would like the "switch" to know to turn off the accessory after a period of 12-24 hours, in case I forget to turn it off at the end of the day.

Does this make sense, or am I looking for a miracle?

Thanks,

Jerry

jimski
11-01-2004, 12:56 AM
I am sure there are other options, but if you know someone in business, with a W.W. Grainger account, you can find several industrial digital timers that will do what you are looking for. They typically will operate across a wide range of input voltages (both AC & DC) including 12VDC. Omron is one brand that comes to mind. You would need an input (momentary or closed) to start the timer counting, but you could probably get that from somewhere in the ignition system. You might need to build a little enclosure to hold everything, but the timer could probably be adjustable from 1 to 999 hours.

js415
11-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Great idea.

It just so happens that I have an account with Grainger at my company.

I never really thought about them having any type of item, or if one even existed!!

I might start my search there.

Do you know exactly what they would be called? Is a digital timer what I would be looking for?

Thanks,

Jerry