View Full Version : hx4700 power/memory/security questions

appelbaumphoto
10-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi all,
Switched over from Palm platform and got a 4700. I love it but have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. I don't quite understand exactly how Memory and Storage work. My memory is very low while my storage is very high. I have a 1gig CF card I plan on keeping in it. What all besides my data files can I transfer over to it? What all can i transfer over to the iPAQ file store? What is the iPAQ file store?

2.Is the low memory the reason the machine is running so slow and always gets locked up? Is there anything else I can do to make it run faster and not lock up? I have to soft reset all the time.

3. I have the default security enabled. I use audible to listen to books. If I am using battery power (not connected) it shuts off in 5 mins because of my power settings. I know I can shut that function off, but then my security is disabled as the machine will not turn off. How can i keep it from shutting down while i am using audible but still have the security feature enabled in case it should get stolen?

4. Can someone recommend a callendar program that is more similar to outlook 2003?

5.Does anyone know how I can get my Logitec Denovo Bluetooth Keyboard to work with the 4700? I've tried everything i can think of.

On a side note: Memoirs of a Giesha on audio is boring, don't bother.

Thanks!

Moishe

jpf
10-30-2004, 01:42 AM
4700 is a dog for lock ups. It's not a good introduction to PPC's.
Install betaplayer because it will fix a bug in the .net software.
Avoid too many today plugins, they seem to cause the most lockups/resets.
Perform a soft reset after each install, might be voodoo but it seems to help.
Only install today plugins or programs that you will always be using into main memory. Choose the ipaq file store for other programs. Some won't function if installed in the file store but you find that out!
Get a task switch application to shut down apps you are not using. I recommend dinarsoft's handyswitcher. There are plenty of others.
Main memory is the fastest followed by the file store. Slowest memory is on any cards. So store data on cards.
I don't know about security. I don't use it. Unless you have a propensity for losing PDA with confidential data on them, then it might be better to ignore it too until you are more familiar with PPCs.
The logitech keyboard/mouse uses it's own bluetooth stack which is not compatible with other devices. There are hacks around to open up the stack but I have no links (as I don't have the DiNuovo).

Most important, Read the forums first and ask questions after. Most questions a new user might have are asked/answered many times. I recommend here but ipaqhq and brighthand are also very informative.

Dermot81
10-31-2004, 02:09 AM
I'd recommend hard resetting and installing your apps over again, one by one.

Like the guy above me said, try not to install too many today screen plug-ins and if you do, install them to main memory.

The 4700 itself is a great machine, its just software compatibility issues with wm2003 SE and VGA that cause problems. If you can find the right software, then you won't have any problems. I soft reset maybe once every few days, and I use my PPC a lot.

There's a nice list of VGA friendly applications here:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111132

It's a good place to start

appelbaumphoto
11-05-2004, 06:27 PM
K. Thanks for the help! Eveerything you two suggested helped.
I am looking for one thing that I'm having a really hard time finding. I scoured the web and forums yesterday for hours and can't find a solution.

Email:
I'm using Outlook 2003 on my Desktop PC. I do not want to sinc my accounts directly with my email server, but want to continue to sinc with my desktop Outlook.
What i need primarily is the ability to view those messages in my inbox that are flagged for follow up (they are flagged on my desktop but don't show up as flagged on my PPC.)
I would also like to have the ability to sinc multiple folders with my desktop outlook. Any ideas? Going to post this in software too.

THanks!