View Full Version : Bluetooth and Activesync -- not able to re-initialize

Don Tolson
10-29-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm having an interesting problem with Activesyncing over Bluetooth and wondering if anyone else has seen it.

I connect between my iPAQ 2215 (with ROM 1.10 and the HP Bluetooth upgrades) and laptop (running XP SP2) using a Belkin F8T001 USB dongle, which is plugged into a port replicator for the laptop. In the morning, when I first power on my laptop, etc. I'm able to Activesync with no problems at all -- everything works fine.

HOWEVER, if I remove the laptop from the replicator to go to a meeting (effectively removing the USB dongle for a short time), when I return and reconnect, I'm no longer able to connect via Activesync until I restart my laptop. It gets hung up trying to authenticate the connection between the laptop and the iPAQ. I seem to remember MS identifying some problem with initializing USB devices in WinXP, but I thought that was 'solved' within SP2.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Don Tolson
10-29-2004, 09:21 PM
I got some more info from Belkin on this. Apparently, it's a limitation of the 'standard' MS bluetooth stack provided with SP2. According to a document Belkin provided, the following profiles are supported by the MS stack:
PAN -- IP cx over bluetooth
Hard Copy Replacement Profile (HCRP) -- enables printing
Human Interface Device -- keyboards, mice, joysticks
Dial-Up Networking (DUN) - bluetooth mobile phones as modems
Object Push Profile -- enables file transfers
Virtual COM Ports -- enables legacy programs to communicate with Bluetooth devices...while the WIDCOMM stack also provides: File Transfer
Audio Headset
Audio Gateway
Fax
PIM Synchronization