View Full Version : Should I switch to Axim X50v from h4155?

Dinan
10-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi all, I've had my h4155 for a while now and Ive been slowly swaying towards purchasing a VGA PPC. I've looked at the Loox 720, Asus 730, the new HP, and the X50v, and so far I like the Dell the most. The battery life, from reviews, doesn't seem spectacular but it'll fit my needs. Also, the size is pretty nice. I'm just wondering which PPC would fit my needs the best. I use it mainly for Wi-Fi, PIM, organization, viewing documents for classes (problem sets, PDF's, slideshows, etc) and listening to music in the library. It's nice to have a wireless PPC so that I don't have to go to the computer every time I want to look something up in the library. But I'm just wondering would the other VGA PPC's fit me better? The dell is priced quite nicely compared to the other VGA PPC's. And I think the HP is just too big.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Deus
10-28-2004, 06:42 PM
I am going X50v but the Loox 720 has better battery life which will make WiFi use last longer. The processor is 520 instead of 624 but this will still be fast. Comeone just reviewed it here just do a search. Plenty of people are VERY happy with it from what I know.

Dinan
10-28-2004, 07:00 PM
I've read a ton of reviews on the X50v and the Loox 720 and I'm still torn between them. I like the Dell's graphics chip, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. The Loox has a slower processor but it costs a lot more. I suppose if the Dell's battery life is at least equal to my h4155 or better I'll be fine.

Deus
10-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Your in Boston too! SOOOOOOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXX WOOOO HOOOO

I'm sure you will be happy with either of those devices. I have been on the fence debating wether or not to cancel my X50v order and get the Loox. Hopefully Dell sends it sooner than later. Thats another thing! The Dell is not even shipping yet and people ordering now are getting January ship dates. This could change but right now it doesn't look to good

Dinan
10-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Haha, SOX WIN!! I live on Beacon Street near Kenmore... check out the riots! http://home.comcast.net/~scorcherjf/policeriot1.jpg

Anyway, one of the main features I want is a compact unit. It looks like the Dell and Loox are the smallest. I keep looking at the dimensions but I don't think I get a good feel of the size from numbers... will it be much larger than my h4155?

Deus
10-28-2004, 08:43 PM
SWEET! Did you go out in it all night?

I can't tell you in comparison to the 4155 as I have yet to hold the Loox or the Dell. hats one thing that really bugs me about these two devices. You can't get a hold of one without knowing someone or buying it! I currently have a ipaq 5555 so I know I will get a good reduction in size.

One more not is that if you buy the LOOX you need to get an adapter for the plug. Its not expensive just another obstacle.

Dinan
10-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Yep I was at Kenmore for a while after we won (I'm a sophomore at BU, of course I'd go). It wasn't as crazy as when we beat the Yankees game 7 but it was still a mad house. Lots of fun though, lots of beer and weed too, haha...

Anyway, for me the selling points for the X50v is the graphics chip, processor, and price. For the Loox, it's the battery and I think I like the looks a little better. Now that I think about it I should probably go with the Dell. Or maybe I should just wait for the next generation... my h4155 isn't THAT old... even though the higher res would help SO much more in applications such as spreadsheets, slideshows, pdfs, dictionaries (I use chinese character input and 320x240 is so small sometimes).

horseflesh
10-28-2004, 11:44 PM
I am planning on replacing my 4150 with the X50V. I really like the features of the Loox, but it is just too expensive.

I'm still going to wait until a bunch of people have received their Dells before I order though... there could still be some last minute problem with them, you never know.

Dinan
10-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Ahh damn I've been looking at the Asus A730 and I think I'm starting to like it... the thing I like about it is the size is about the same as my h4155, just a little thicker. And it's a little cheaper than the Loox would be. Although the Dell is still the cheapest.

famousdavis
10-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Thats another thing! The Dell is not even shipping yet and people ordering now are getting January ship dates. This could change but right now it doesn't look to good

I ordered my Dell X50v earlier this week, and the scheduled ship date is November 11.

ecard
10-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I will not switch to VGA until they come out with a 4150 size device. For me the size is number 1.

This is why I had a Palm so long, the PPC where too big :D

dhpss
10-30-2004, 02:22 PM
I change my PPCs frequently and have occasions to help my friends to set up their various PPC devices, but my heart is still on the iPaq 4150 for several reasons such feel, design, size, robustness in both software and hardware, the audio is very powerful for GPS use, WiFi, BT (missing Audio gateway profile :cry: ), etc..

But I also think you should consider the popularity factor in your country for things such: accessories, resell values, etc...

As I understand, HP and Dell are the most dominant in the US, therefore, you won't have problem to resell your unit later. Both ASUS and Fujutsu are not quite widely popular here. Unless, you use them and plan to keep them for long time, you certainly will have lots of trouble to resell them or find accessories in the US for them...

zetsurin
10-31-2004, 06:19 AM
Have either Dell or Fujitsu made any public statements as to whether their current VGA lineup will receive an upgrade to the new Windows Mobile 2005 when it comes out? I would be factoring that into my decision as until WM2005 comes out it doesn't appear that the extra benefit of VGA is fully realised.

Darius Wey
10-31-2004, 06:34 AM
Have either Dell or Fujitsu made any public statements as to whether their current VGA lineup will receive an upgrade to the new Windows Mobile 2005 when it comes out? I would be factoring that into my decision as until WM2005 comes out it doesn't appear that the extra benefit of VGA is fully realised.

Haha. I don't think we'll be hearing that for a long time. WM2005 hasn't even been officially announced. It has only been leaked from a somewhat official/unofficial source. And judging from past experiences, public statements of whether or not ROM updates will be made available, usually aren't even made until the OS is actually released. And even then, a lot of media statements are only rumours anyway.

Take WM2003SE for example. There were rumours that the h19xx series would be left out of the block. And most of the other devices would receive the update. We waited, and waited, and waited, only to find that HP wouldn't release updates for any of the devices. :roll:

Personally, I'm willing to wait until WM2005 is released; I'm sure we'll find out then whether or not the companies are intending to release updates for their pre-existing devices. If they aren't, well...there will always be a new generation of devices on offer anyway. :P

maximus
11-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Personally, I'm willing to wait until WM2005 is released; I'm sure we'll find out then whether or not the companies are intending to release updates for their pre-existing devices. If they aren't, well...there will always be a new generation of devices on offer anyway. :P

Same here. No new PDAs until Magneto.

Got an Axim X5 that can do whatever I can imagine a PDA can do. Spouse is currently using XDA2. Then a spare ipaq 2210 in the closet. I think I can say that we have enough PDA in one house already :)

dhpss
11-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Just a little detail..but it turns me off

I am using GPS on my PPC. The iPaqs (even the smallest form factor 19xx, 4xxx) provide the most powerful built-in speakerphone. The speaker on Axim x50v is very weak (according feedback from Aximsite forum)

Why the manifactures often forget this detail?. It might not be a big deal to most of you. But this is a turn-off point for me.