View Full Version : Cradle vs. Hot sync / charger cable

algae
10-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Any reason why I would not want to have a synch/charger usb cable as a spare instead of another cradle? Any brands I should not buy or just get whatever Best Buy has?

Thanks
Gary

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Any reason why I would not want to have a synch/charger usb cable as a spare instead of another cradle? Any brands I should not buy or just get whatever Best Buy has?

Thanks
Gary

One word: Portability. ;)

It's a lot easier to carry a cable around that it is to carry a cradle (due to the extra bulky bit :P). Personally, I would go for the cable...but it's up to you.

Which PPC do you have?

CrashX
10-29-2004, 03:58 AM
Another reason to go with the cable... Cost!

I picked up a sync/charge cable for my h6315 from Circuit City last night and it only cost $8. It's a Belkin cable, and came with a USB cigarette lighter adapter. The package says it's only for the H3800, H3900, H5400 & 1910 series, but an HP model of the same thing had several other models listed in addition to those above, so I took a chance. The HP model was in the exact same blister pack, but it just had a different label. Evidentally Belkin is "OEMing" cables for HP.

Even if you pay full price for a cable (The HP cable was marked at $24.95) you're still saving at least 50% compared to the cost of most cradles.

Sven Johannsen
10-29-2004, 05:30 AM
On the other hand...if your need is to sync at your desk at home and your desk at work, both fixed locations, I'd consider another cradle and charger. I find the sync cable connection to the PPC somewhat fragile on what is already a fairly flimsy connection. You do need to be a bit more careful when connecting and it is pretty easy to torque the connector in respect to the PPC, if you aren't careful.

If you are going for the portability aspects though, consider the ZipLinq or LiLSync style that roll up. Bit more expensive, but very compact.

algae
10-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Thanks all. Btw DJ Apod I have an Ipaq 4150. Just moved over from a Palm Vx so it's got a whole lot more functionality than I'm used to:)

Gary