View Full Version : CompactFlash vs. SD Wireless cards

Taha
10-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Hello All

I posted earlier about maybe using Bluetooth to get my iPaq 2210 connected to my wireless network. I got a couple of posts and they seemed to indicate that the cons probably outweighed the pros of this approach.

So, I think that I will go the route of getting an external card. Therefore, my next question is whether I should go for a CF or SD version. What do the folks here think? Is one better/superior to the other? Also, I only see 802.11b versions...are there no G versions available.

Thanks
Taha

OSUKid7
10-28-2004, 04:47 AM
If you have both slots, go with CF. That'll let you keep an SD card in all the time to run programs, music, etc., and you can swap out your CF device depending on what you need.

And even if there were 802.11g CF cards (which I think Linksys is releasing one soon if it hasn't already), no Pocket PC can really use that speed because of the bus speeds on the motherboard. The only reason I would even think about getting one is to make a G-only network.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 05:12 AM
I agree. Although they aren't the only reasons I would suggest CF. The CF interface is still a little cheaper than the SD offerings at the moment, although the prices of both are rapidly declining.

Also, there seem to be more "options" out there for the CF wireless cards, while there are only a small handful for the SD wireless cards. Another thing: the SDIO Wireless cards seem really brittle to me. Someone like me would probably make it snap, mainly attributed to complete clumsiness. :roll:

delfuhd
10-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Hmm. I've used a Socket, Symbol, and Linksys WCF11 CF card for WiFi with my Cassiopea, 3850, and 2215. I was pretty much stuck with the WCF 11 (its kinda big) but anyway, I recently discovered that I cannot plug in headphones into the port while using the WCF11 card (which I will be doing more than sparingly nowadays), and so I became very interested in the SD WiFi cards.

Well anyway I had a 128 meg SD and a 256 CF card. My programs were on the SD card and my media was on the CF card. So, I couldn't listen to music or anything while using WiFi, which is blah for me.. And, my 128 meg SD was literally chock full of MyDocs, and all my programs. My friend has a couple 1 gig CF's that he uses with his e800 and his digital camera, and was looking into a 2gig CF card. So I saw this as a chance to buy an SD WiFi card, get one of my friend's old 1GB CF cards, and just put allll my stuff ont he CF card, and just use the SD wifi whenever I need to.

Okay, well to make a long story a little longer, I purchased a Socket SD Wifi card, and have been using the 1GB card for the past week or so. Let me tell you it is AMAZING. I spent about $75 dollars on the wifi card, which isn't bad, considering I rarely purchase hardware items; it is hard to convince myself to, but anyway, I am very pleased with the SD's performance, and the size. I have an aluminum case so the SD card fits nicely in the SD Slot on the flip cover of the case, so it's nice and easy travel and well all in all I'd suggest to get a large CF storage and an SD WiFi card. BTW, all my 128 meg SD card has on it now are backups..

And lastly, the SD card and it's software performs no less than perfect for me, wchih I am very pleased about.

There's my $0.02 (and maybe a bit more... :wink: )

JPD6825
10-30-2004, 05:56 AM
Why do we torture ourselves like this?! Usually I have subscribed to the theory that for most hardware components the differences in price usually don't reflect real differences in performance. I'd vote CF and look for a bargain. I'm satisfied with my low cost Ambicom card. But don't ask me about my first wireless router experience. That Belkin was a disaster!
... and oh yeah, SDIO was not an option with my Axim.