View Full Version : Microsoft Photo Story 3 Now Released

Jason Dunn
10-27-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ry/default.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Bring life into your favorite memories with Photo Story 3 for Windows® by adding motion, effects, music, and more to your digital photos. Easily retouch your images with a single click and add slick-looking titles, or add dramatic pans and zooms that give your creations a professional finish, create a soundtrack—even record narration. Then enjoy the show. Start sharing your stories today!"</i><br /><br />Ding ding ding, come and get it! :D Photo Story 3 is now released, and it's free, which is fantastic! Interestingly enough, if you have a haxx0red version of Windows XP (i.e.: one that hasn't been activated with Microsoft), you can't install the software. I can't wait to install it - I really liked using previous versions of Photo Story. They have export templates for Pocket PCs and Smartphones, so give it a go!

hotweiss
10-27-2004, 11:19 PM
I love this applications! I have made so many "Photo Stories" that were much more moving and more fun to watch than any slideshow. I like the new support for higher resolutions, but why couldn't they make it more customisable? My screen is 1440x900, which is not supported. The new transitions and the ability to add more than one MP3 is a bonus.

Dam it Microsoft, when you have something worth buying you give it away for free. And when you have a simple bloated 20 year old application like Word you charge hundreds....

johncruise
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
This is a great product. I bought one before and now they are giving it away, this time with more features? Grab it folks... you won't regret it!

Jason Dunn
10-28-2004, 12:17 AM
I like the new support for higher resolutions, but why couldn't they make it more customisable? My screen is 1440x900, which is not supported.

Are you talking about the support for rendering video at higher resolutions? They're reccomending a 3.2 Ghz processor with 512 MB of RAM for the 1024 x 768 resolution video, so a 1440 x 900 resolution video would be extremely taxing. Trust me - render an 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 video, put Windows Media Player into full screen mode, and watch it from two feet away (don't peer at the screen from 4" away looking for flaws), and you'll be quite impressed with the quality. ;-)

sheik
10-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Ah well, no freebie photo software for us Win2K users :(

/\

Jason Dunn
10-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Ah well, no freebie photo software for us Win2K users

Yeah, it's unfortunate that it requires Windows XP, but it's yet one more reason to upgrade. ;-)

mcsouth
10-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Well, that's interesting......as a dedicated FireFox user, I can't download this software, even using the alternate method. I actually had to go and dig out IE from its dusty crevice in order to 'validate Windows' and enable this download.

So you can have it for free, as long as you use IE.... :D

Jason Dunn
10-28-2004, 05:23 AM
So you can have it for free, as long as you use IE.... :D

Well, considering they're validating the installation of Windows, it's not terribly surprising that they're using an ActiveX control to do so...

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 05:43 AM
Well, that's interesting......as a dedicated FireFox user, I can't download this software, even using the alternate method. I actually had to go and dig out IE from its dusty crevice in order to 'validate Windows' and enable this download.

This is taken from the MS WGA FAQ:

Q.
Will the validation process work with non-Microsoft Web browsers?

A.
Yes, you can complete the validation process using a non-Microsoft Web browser. Mozilla Firefox users: although the instructions for the validation tool executable file say to open or run the file from its current location, Firefox will not present you with either of those options. Instead, save the file to your PC and then double-click on the file to run it.

SoAlive
10-28-2004, 07:11 AM
From the Microsoft website:

Take it on the road: Enjoy your photos on portable devices which support Windows Media® Player 10 mobile

Does this mean that our PPCs without WMP10 won't be able to use stories created with Photo Story 3? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 07:25 AM
From the Microsoft website:

Take it on the road: Enjoy your photos on portable devices which support Windows Media® Player 10 mobile

Does this mean that our PPCs without WMP10 won't be able to use stories created with Photo Story 3? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Nope. :(
Tried and tested: I created a short 10 second clip with it and although it appeared to play in WMP9, the video did not display.

The WMV files created by Photo Story 3 have the WMV9 Image 2 video codec and the WMA9.1 audio codec. The audio playback is fine, but the video doesn't show. So to cut a long story short, don't hold your breath if you expect native WMP9 Mobile support. ;)

Mr. PPC
10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Looks interesting, but I'll stick with Photodex ProShow Gold. Yes! it cost me money, but it does a whole lot more.

T'is cool that the MS one if free.

rlobrecht
10-28-2004, 03:10 PM
You can activate using Firefox, but you can't unless you're an administrator.

Jerry Raia
10-28-2004, 03:32 PM
I used firefox also

SoAlive
10-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Tried and tested: I created a short 10 second clip with it and although it appeared to play in WMP9, the video did not display.

Bummer. Now I have to uninstall 3 and get the old PhotoStory back up again. Unless, of course, I can get a WMP10 upgrade for my 2215. :?

T-Will
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Sweet, this will be a nice addition to my new Media Center 2005 machine! :D