View Full Version : Computer speakers

TheOrange
10-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Are computer speakers the same as regular (stereo) speakers? Meaning, if I cut and strip the ends, can they be hooked up to a stereo?

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Are computer speakers the same as regular (stereo) speakers? Meaning, if I cut and strip the ends, can they be hooked up to a stereo?

Not necessarily. Some speakers operate via analog connections, while some operate via digital connections. Also, you also run the risk of ruining the connection in case you don't modify the ends well.

What speakers were you thinking of "disarticulating"? ;)

TheOrange
10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
two spare satellites from an old logitech soundman sr30 (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Logitech_SoundMan_SR_30/4505-5_16-2051019-2.html?tag=tab) set. I don't have a sound card that supports the additional speakers, but they may provide a nice little extra something to my stereo. (they've been sitting around for years unused)

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Are these speakers all joined together via a cable, or can they be separated from one another? If the latter is true, do they have plugs for each speaker which you can just connect to the stereo?

I couldn't quite work this one out when you were just saying, "cutting and stripping the ends". Thanks. :)

rocky_raher
10-27-2004, 06:41 PM
You might want to research "impedence matching" before you start splicing speakers from one system to another. Briefly, impedence is like AC resistence. [Collossal simplification there - my EE theory is a little rusty. Anyone who'd like to reply with a better description, please do so! And TIA.] Anything that feeds a speaker expects a particular impedance. If you substitute a speaker with a different impedance, you don't get efficient power transfer. As I recall from my early teenage years when I tried the same thing you want to do (before I learned about impedence), the result sounds like an amplified rake across the blackboard.

TheOrange
10-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Yes, yes and no. The speakers all plug into the sub individually, so they can be seperated. No they cannot plug into the stereo with the current adapter/terminator on the ends. The stereo accepts four speakers, but through the regular speaker wire connectors. I haven't bought a stereo since 97, I don't know if they came out with some better type of connector. :?

Here's a simple diagram (http://nacholand.com/sr30.gif) of the speaker setup.

EDIT

The gif is kinda big 8)

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 02:48 AM
The gif is kinda big 8)

134KB? Surely not. :P

Okay, can you describe the connector at the end of each cable? Is it like your RCA style connector or something else?

TheOrange
10-28-2004, 03:54 PM
more like a headset or mic - just like what you plug into the back of your PC... like this (http://nacholand.com/cable.jpg)

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 04:21 PM
more like a headset or mic - just like what you plug into the back of your PC... like this (http://nacholand.com/cable.jpg)

Okay, that's definitely an analog interface you have there.

However, I'd listen to what rocky_raher has to say. While it is possible, you run the risk of making it sound "terrible". Also bear in mind that different speakers have different power ratings as well. Do you think it's worth sacrificing two speakers for an old stereo, when you may end up using this speaker set in the future when you have an upgraded sound card, or if you end up acquiring a new stereo that can take these connectors? My thoughts anyway... 8)

TheOrange
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
UPDATE:

I decided to go against advice and to just give it a shot - the speakers have just been sitting, unused for like three years now and I figured I wouldn't miss them if it went south.

Turns out everything works just fine. No raking across blackboards today!

Darius Wey
11-01-2004, 05:16 PM
UPDATE:

I decided to go against advice and to just give it a shot - the speakers have just been sitting, unused for like three years now and I figured I wouldn't miss them if it went south.

Turns out everything works just fine. No raking across blackboards today!

Congratulations! :way to go: May your auditory centres prosper now and in the future. :lol: