View Full Version : PPC Newbie advice needed.

algae
10-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Hi all,
I'm finally hanging up my Palm Vx for an Ipaq 4150. Should I go ahead and install everything out of the box or are there better alternatives to the included software? Also what are the "must have" utilities for a PPC?
Tia for any info.

Gary

Ripper014
10-27-2004, 06:50 AM
My guess is there are better alternatives to just about everything that you might get out of the box. In order to answer you questions we need to know what you want to use your Pocket PC for... or how you want to use it.

tanalasta
10-27-2004, 09:52 AM
And what's in the box?

You should be aware some of the problems that come with your IPAQ may be trial versions only...

But whilst you're experimenting, there's little harm in installing/uninstalling programs and playing with your device a little. Worse case scenario is you require a hard-reset and start from the beginning!

Lex
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the camp. You stretched that Vx about as far as they can go!

Note that tanalasta said 'problems' instead of 'programs'. That was Freudian. The only hard crash I've encountered with my iPAQ 3845 over 3 years hard use if from an app that came in the box. Tech support talked me through the fix. I haven't heard of similar bugs since.

This board is a great place to search and 'Favorite Apps' has been asked and answered multiple times.

I'd take a while getting used to the new OS then over time and while you watch www.freewareppc.com and www.pocketgear.com or www.handango.com you'll decide what looks useful. The front page of this site announces useful new software regularly. I came over from Palm too and found the OS contained a lot of what I had hacked my Palm to do, so I needed to add on fewer apps to my PPC.

algae
10-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I use my Palm mainly for Office apps and the occasional game. I "live" in Outlook at work. However the Ipaq will open a few more doors with the Wifi available.

Gary

dibbs26
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi algae,
You will probably need some decent password info apps plus accounting apps. This site is cool for stuff like that and also if you have any questions the guys on the site will do their most to help. I like you have transfered from one OS to another. My previous pda was a psion 5mx......what a change to ppc.....it takes some getting used to.
cheers

peter

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
algae, here are a couple of links for threads that discussed "must-have" software packages for the Pocket PC: Link 1 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22031) and Link 2. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16802) They're a little old (around a year), but the basic must-have applications are still listed there. All you will really need to know is the name of the application you are interested in, and then Handango (http://www.handango.com) is always a good place to check for updated versions.

Hope that helps. ;)

tanalasta
10-27-2004, 03:40 PM
[quote="Lex"]
Note that tanalasta said 'problems' instead of 'programs'. That was Freudian.
[quote]

Whoops. Lack of sleep does that to you... I've been mixing up words quite a bit lately :oops:

I don't have an IPAQ... and my old Toshi isn't quite so stable. My bro has an IPAQ though... and it works great.

Enjoy browsing around on PPCT and playing with your new IPAQ :) Feel free to post any questions if you run into any problems... :oops: or wanna ask questions about what you can do with your new device.

As for programs:
A lot of people are quite dissatisfied with the freeware / OEM software available (which may be quite limted) so there are definitely better alternatives available for a lot of things you can do with your PPC if you pay for them. But rather than go on a spending spree, I would suggest trialing each program first and only paying for functionality that you would use. There're also sales/promotions on at Handango or from software producers (or even by subscribing to PPCT!) to save heaps of money on software.

And as you already know - you can invest in things such as cases, better stylus, screen protectors as you would have with your Palm.

Examples of programs and limitations include:
PIM - Outlook is default. It's not bad... but doesn't quite have the functionality and customisation options / ease of use as Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion.
Activesync - You use this to sync Outlook data with your PC. But it only allows you to sync with one computer.... and nothing from your storage card.
Windows Media Player I've never had a problem with, but if you want an EQ or something more fancy, try Pocketplayer.

A program/task manager or switcher and today-screen modifications/skins are popular... SPB pocketplus, Batterypack, Wisbar. A lot of people like being able to actually "close" programs rather than minimise them with that little button in the top right hand corner :P

Have a search of the forums for other freeware programs... Other popular things include games, eBook readers, accounting apps, Word/Adobe/Powerpoint alternatives... Too many to list.

But most importantly, discover the potential of your IPAQ and enjoy it! :) And try not to drop it, put it in your backpocket and sit on it :devilboy:

Ripper014
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Here is a list of programs that I recommended a while back for newbies... though I am sure that there should be some changes to the list... it should help you get off to a good start.

http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6603

algae
10-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks much guys.

Gary