View Full Version : different screen protector styles

poshdaphne
10-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Which are better and why, screen protectors that stick directly to the screen or ones that are more rigid that slide under the sides of the frame around the screen?

fuzzduzz
10-27-2004, 04:26 AM
Are screen protectors a must have or not???

newby

ctmagnus
10-27-2004, 05:42 AM
poshdaphne: It boils down to personal preference. The kind that stick under the edges of he screen would be easier to apply/remove (imo) but many, many people here swear by the adhesive kind. I have no idea which companies make the fomer but excellent examples of the latter are Pocket PC Techs (www.pocketpctechs.com) Write Shields, Martin Fields Overlay Plus (www.overlayplus.com) and BoxWave (www.boxwave.com) ClearTouch.

fuzzduzz: definite must-have.

fuzzduzz
10-27-2004, 12:59 PM
How long do these screen protectors generally last?

Darius Wey
10-27-2004, 01:04 PM
How long do these screen protectors generally last?

The majority of standard screen protectors don't really have a set lifespan as it is really a subjective figure. These things don't simply "fall off" your screen. :P

It depends on a lot of things; the main being your frequency of use. I've used the same screen protector for around 8 months now. Sure...it's riddled with hairline scratches here and there, but I'm comfortable with it on there for the moment...mainly because I want to do away with the arduous task of removing it and placing another one on as nicely as I can (for the moment anyway). Some people change their screen protectors as quickly as two months, some four, some six, while some haven't changed theirs in a year. It really is up to you and when you feel like taking off an old screen protector and putting on a new one, you will know when the time is right. ;)

TheOrange
10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
A friend who uses them is very rough on his screen and would easily damage it if it were bare (infact he has). My thinking is that extra layer of protection makes you press down harder than normal. So my question is, are screen protectors really that important? I used to use them religiously and eventually just stopped. I think that the device has a better feel when the stylus is on the bare screen. Every time I buy them, I feel bad because they do change the feel of the device and I end up not using them. Yet I feel bad for risking the longevity of my device by not using them. In short, I suppose I'm looking for a compelling reason to buy and use these little guys.

Jacob
10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
The kind that stick under the edges of he screen would be easier to apply/remove (imo)

I've found the opposite, but I guess that would be just a matter of opinion.

The non-adhesive types generally are clearer than the adhesive ones. The adhesive ones cloud the screen a little bit - different brands to different degrees. For example the WriteRights from Fellowes are HORRIBLE, but the cheapest.

The WriteShields from PocketPCTechs are great. Boxwave's are very good too.

ctmagnus
10-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Can you give me an example of a non-adhesive brand? I've tried WriteShields and currently have a Boxwave on my iPaq, and I'm not exactly comfortable appying/removing either of these brands due to their stickiness, especially after they've been on the iPaq for six or eight months.

Jacob
10-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I've tried the G2 Screenprotectors (http://www.pdascreenprotectors.com/) and they were difficult to put on, but completely clear - no glare protection, but the screen was exactly the same in brightness.

There's also NuShields (http://www.nushield.com/) which I've never tried, but I've heard they are easier to put on since they aren't shaped in a straight rectangle.

poshdaphne
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I was mostly concerned that the nonadhesive kind would render the screen much less sensitive than the adhesive kind would. I've never heard that anywhere, I just had that gut feeling for some reason... Another concern, I've noticed you guys mentioning putting off changing your adhesive screen protectors. Is it a huge hassle to take them off or put them on? Also, can they damage your screen if you are too vigorous when taking them off? BTW, thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

Jacob
10-28-2004, 06:59 PM
The G2 protectors are a little thicker than the adhesive ones so you might see a little less sensitivity, but I never found this to be a big deal.

The biggest thing when taking the protector(any protector I would think, but especially an adhesive kind) would be that your nail or whatever you're using to get it off might scratch it.

I've never had this happen, but it's a concern. PocketPCTechs with their premium version at least do provide little toothpick type things that you can use which are less likely(if at all) to damage the screen.

To me it's worth it. I use a case too.. but I like having that protection just in case.

Once I accidentally just used the wrong end of a pen as a stylus and well, I'm glad I got ink on the screen protector and not the screen ;)

poshdaphne
10-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I know I definitely need to get a screen protector for my new ppc because my last one had scratches on it from playing too much solitaire. I thought that was bad until I dropped it and cracked the screen. So... I've also bought a hard case for my new one. I can't let myself make the same mistakes twice!

ctmagnus
10-29-2004, 12:20 AM
I can't let myself make the same mistakes twice!

You're not the only one ;)

horseflesh
10-29-2004, 07:55 PM
I tried both non-adhesive and adhesive styles.

The non-adhesive ones (G2) looked great, very clear. However, they fit too loosely and junk would get under the protector. It was awful... little bits of dust and pocket crud under the plastic... If the bezel on my pda was tighter, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

Then I tried adhesive Boxwaves and I was very happy with them. They aren't as clear, but they were SMOOTH, no crud underneath them.

For my next PDA, I will try the "crystal" style adhesive ones, which were not available the last time I did this. I am very hopeful that they will be perfect for me.

whydidnt
10-29-2004, 10:36 PM
I am obviously an uncoordinated dork, because putting any of these things on is a 2 or 3 hour exercise in frustation for me. Whoever figures out how to make one of these that magically stays on the screen, and doesn't get dust or fingerprints on it during the install process, while at the same time avoiding nasty air bubbles will make a million dollars - half of it from me!! :oops:

I have yet to find one of these I consider it easy to put on. In my opinion, the thicker protectors, like those from PPC Techs do reduce screen sensitivity. The others are such crap though, I wouldn't use them. I've recently acquired several new PPC's so I can figure out which one I like best for day to day use, and for these I've put on the protection right away, as I have a long history of screen abuse, and will want to sell the "losers" in my contest at some point. :wink:

However, what I've done in the past is used the PPC until I've damaged the screen a bit, then added the screen protector. It covers the scratches and elimiantes issues you might have from trying to write on a scartched SIP. Once it's scratched, you can forget about trying to resell it, so that's problematic for those of you who like to recoup part of your investment.

I really prefer no protector, but you have to weigh that against your potential financial loss by damaging the screen.

Kati Compton
10-30-2004, 06:58 AM
poshdaphne: It boils down to personal preference. The kind that stick under the edges of he screen would be easier to apply/remove (imo) but many, many people here swear by the adhesive kind. I have no idea which companies make the fomer but excellent examples of the latter are Pocket PC Techs (www.pocketpctechs.com) Write Shields, Martin Fields Overlay Plus (www.overlayplus.com) and BoxWave (www.boxwave.com) ClearTouch.
I don't know about Martin Fields, but the other two, while they use "sticky stuff", it's not like glue or anything - it comes clean off. I think it's silicone-based. So not like the flimsy kind that's more like Contact Paper.