View Full Version : best DivX player, and the most balance encoding settings?

ipaq_wannabe
10-25-2004, 11:38 PM
i am new to the pocketPc

and also, until recently, i got myself DrDivX with the sole purpose of watching DivX movies on my portable

i was kind of wondering what would be the BEST program/app or watching DivX on a Windows Mobile 2003 machine

also, could anyone tell me the optimum settings for encoding - the best balance of quality and size

Thanks a lot!!

Arqentus
10-26-2004, 02:47 AM
betaplayer ...

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

The best player of them all ( do i get a free one now Picard? ;) ).

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 03:52 AM
also, could anyone tell me the optimum settings for encoding - the best balance of quality and size

Give PocketDivXEncoder (http://divx.ppccool.com/) a go - it's a nice little program for achieving quality encoded videos for the Pocket PC. And best of all, it's FREE! :way to go:

The best player of them all ( do i get a free one now Picard?).

:? And BetaPlayer's FREE too! :way to go:

ipaq_wannabe
10-26-2004, 07:30 AM
thanks for all the reply...

another question though, if you dont mind --- would PocketDivXEncoder handle batch jobs?

you see, i already have DrDivX, so basically i could define encoding tasks for the night, and have them ready by the next morning...

Pat Logsdon
10-26-2004, 07:34 AM
another question though, if you dont mind --- would PocketDivXEncoder handle batch jobs?
Yes. There's an "Add to the List" button in PocketDivXEncoder. Just browse for each file, hit that button, repeat until you're done, and then hit the "Encode All" button. Nice and easy. :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 07:39 AM
thanks for all the reply...

you see, i already have DrDivX, so basically i could define encoding tasks for the night, and have them ready by the next morning...

As far as I'm aware (although I haven't used PocketDivXEncoder in a while so it may have changed since I last used it), I don't think you can. However, you will find that encoding to a Pocket PC-friendly resolution is a lot faster. Of course, it depends on your system, but on my desktop (P4 3.0GHz w/ H-T, 1GB RAM), I can typically do a 2 hour clip in around 10 minutes. So if you're ever sitting in front of your computer, say on the PPCT forums, you could do a quick encode job in your spare time. Just a thought. ;)

EDIT: Thanks Pat, I never noticed that one. Mainly because I don't use the function. :D Maybe I should download the new version...

famousdavis
10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
What's the difference between PocketDivXEncoder and DVD to Pocket PC, the commercial program that let's you create a PPC-sized video from a DVD? I know that DVD to Pocket PC creates a WMP-playable file, but does PocketDivXEncoder do essentially the same thing using a different file format?

Darius Wey
10-30-2004, 03:37 AM
What's the difference between PocketDivXEncoder and DVD to Pocket PC, the commercial program that let's you create a PPC-sized video from a DVD? I know that DVD to Pocket PC creates a WMP-playable file, but does PocketDivXEncoder do essentially the same thing using a different file format?

DVD to Pocket PC focuses on creating Windows Media playable files. PocketDivXEncoder focuses on creating DivX files - these can be played in BetaPlayer (or Pocket MVP). Of course, creating DivX files and playing them back on the Pocket PC is free. The commercial package (DVD to Pocket PC) isn't.

ipaq_wannabe
11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
thanks for the replies...

wow... if it takes that less time to do encoding, then i guess im in business...

gotta try it!!!

:)