View Full Version : Full of Questions

EverLearner
10-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm here new and would like to reveal my questions to be answered.
Hope I get the answers for my questions. I'm using o2 mobile pocketpc.

1) Why could't I receive or see the pictures sent by SMS, which I can see in other phone?
2) I did't see any option tat let me add a SMS picture to my sms, how do I add a pic to my sms?
3) My Sms r not sysn wen I sysn with my PC, is tat only wat I've to backup in SD card if I want to keep my SMS?
4) After backingup all the data to SD Card, can I simply copy/cut the data in SD to my pc and use my SD other use?
5) Do am I able to connect my Laptop 2 internet with my O2 with the Sysn cable? Any tutorial available online?

Thanks in advance,
Ever Learner.

EverLearner
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Am I able to store in a perment place and view it in pC?

Well, everytime, i receive a SmS, where does it store?
On my device or SIM?

EverLearner
10-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I've ten contacts in my PocketPC Mobile and I backup all data to SD card. Then, I add two new contacts and in restore my data in SD card to the divce. Wat will happen to the new contacts? Will they deleted or remain?

EverLearner
10-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi every1,

I've tried to find out a way to set my own ringtones/MP3 for Msg tones but cant find one.

Does any1 knows how to set mp3 or song as msg tone?

Please let me, I appreciate your help.

darrylb
10-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi there,

You sure have a lot of questions, and they are not all clear either... :? Here is some of the answers to the questions I think I understand

Firstly, just to clarify - SMS stands for Short Message Service. This is a text only service and it will not handle images. For images, video and sound you want MMS or Multi Media Service.

Secondly Your SMS messares are sent when you tap Send. You should get a notification saying your message was sent.

Your SMS messages are stored in your inbox which is in your Pocket PC's main memory, not on your SIM or SD card.

Restoring over the top of existing data should leave the existing data in place and may create duplicates. It depends on the backup software though. If you are doing a restore, it is common to hard reset the device. This will set it back to the factory default, once this done a restore will be restore the device to the exact state it was in when it was backed up.

You should be able to create a .WAV file and use the ring tone importer to turn it into a ring tone. The ring tone importer is located at Start -> Settings -> System Tab -> Add Ring Tone

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Darryl

Darryl Burling
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
blog: www.burling.co.nz

cyclist
10-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Firstly, just to clarify - SMS stands for Short Message Service. This is a text only service and it will not handle images. For images, video and sound you want MMS or Multi Media Service.

This statement is true, but a lot of mobile phone manufacturers have implemented an 'extended SMS' that permits sending small black and white low pixel count images. The manufacturers have not differentiated this from ordinary SMS, so EverLearner didn't know there was a difference. In UK this is such a basic service that it is on every mobile phone sold. Microsoft have not enabled extended SMS use, so it is not possible to send or receive pictures by SMS; this is going to surprise a lot of people.

Secondly Your SMS messares are sent when you tap Send. You should get a notification saying your message was sent.
The sent notification is manufacturer dependent; my O2 device does not do sent notifications. I tap send, the SMS appears in the Sent box and that's how I know it was sent. There is no notification. There's an option to ask for receipt notification while writing the SMS; annoyingly it is always off and has to be activated for each individual SMS.

Restoring over the top of existing data should leave the existing data in place and may create duplicates. It depends on the backup software though. If you are doing a restore, it is common to hard reset the device. This will set it back to the factory default, once this done a restore will be restore the device to the exact state it was in when it was backed up.
I think what EverLearner was referring to here is the option to Permanent Save contacts to permanent Flash Memory, and restore them. This will also create duplicates. My handset saves new contacts as they are created, so the restore always contains every contact I had.

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:05 PM
First, I thanks Cyclist,

You just put exactly What I want to say...

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm glad that you understand I've lot of questions and trying to figure with part am I not able to explain clearly.

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes, as Cyclist said, in the whole continent (guess) is sending Picture which can be created in some of Nokia's handphone editior and send.
It cost the same as a SMS.

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Well, since I bought O2 and using without doing on settings,
I am notified once my SMS is sent. It works fine in my device.
But jst wonder why cant Cyclist use it.

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone,
I been doing backups few times since I brought my O2 and getting
an error every time at 89% backup. The msg appear on screen is
below and I always press "Skip".

What is this error abt? Should I have press "Reset"?

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
File Sharing violation occurred!
\Windows\Activesync
\GCounterFile.mmf

Please reset your device and try again.
Pressing ""Skip"",causes an incomplete backup.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Regards,
Ever Learner

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Let me explain once again.

I've all my contacts, Sms and other data now and I do a backup for all the data into a SD Card.

After backup, I delete the SMS and Edit some of Contact info and receieved new sms and contacts.

What will happen if I restore the data from SD Card?

I knew whatever in SD Card will be back to my divice.

Will my new sms and contacts will be deleted or remain in my device?

EverLearner
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I've 10 SMS in my device and I do backup & delete 5 of them and received another 5 SMS.

Now when I do backup...

Will my new 5 SMS will be added to storage and
What will happen to my 10 SMS?
Will 5 SMS in storage will be deleted?

When I do restore

My new 5 SMS msg r gone!?!

Pls... someone help me with this problem...

Your helps are very appreciatable...

Regards,
EverLearner.

cyclist
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Well, since I bought O2 and using without doing on settings,
I am notified once my SMS is sent. It works fine in my device.
But jst wonder why cant Cyclist use it.

We probably do not have the same software. I bought my device from O2 UK more than 2 years ago; yours is new from O2 Asia.

cyclist
10-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Let me explain once again.

:( EverLearner, you are making life difficult for yourself.
:agrue:I would like to try to help you, but it is very difficult when you scatter large amounts of random questions and follow ups in one topic.
Only two people have bothered to write answers; you will get more help if you can organise things better. :idea:

Please take a deep breath, calm down a little and try to work like this:
- On your PCmake a list of the topics that you have a problem with - I can see SMS, backup, ring tones.
- For each topic, make notes about your difficulties.
- Use your device for a couple of days and keep adding things to your list of topics and the difficulties in each topic.
- Try every feature that you are interested in to do with that topic, so you find out what more you need to know.
- Have a look at the Help on your pocket PC for each topic.
- Now start with the topic that is most important to you. Make a draft of what you are going to post in the forums on your own PC. Start with some background:- what device you have, what operating system it runs, which piece of software you are using. Then ask your questions.
- Don't include more than one hypothetical situation in your questions, it just gets too confusing.
- When you have a nice, complete, organised posting ready, then create a new topic in the forums and post it.
- WAIT for answers. Don't post more questions to the same topic. If someone who posts asks you a question, then answer.
I'm sure you will get more people to answer if you work this way, and will get sorted out more quickly. :)

EverLearner
10-28-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm extremely sorry.Please pardon me and give me some time.

darrylb
10-28-2004, 07:45 PM
:( EverLearner, you are making life difficult for yourself.

I would agree, but I also think there is a language/cultural barrier here too

:agrue:I would like to try to help you, but it is very difficult when you scatter large amounts of random questions and follow ups in one topic.
Only two people have bothered to write answers; you will get more help if you can organise things better. :idea:

I agree
Please take a deep breath, calm down a little and try to work like this:

I would also add the following:
- Read the documentation that came with your device thouroughly. I will have many of the answers you are looking for and will be in your language.
- Dont be afraid to play. By playing with ring tones, etc, you will learn and they wont break the device (Backup/restore might be an exception to this rule)

Cheers!

EverLearner
11-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks,

My friend just got a O2. So we are playing and learning from
his device as it is his personal use unlike mine.

I'm very worried as I'm using my device for work.
I guess it takes some time to learn.

Thanks all,
Ever Learner.