View Full Version : NO more laptops and more PDAs?

Typhoon
10-23-2004, 11:37 PM
I think that as time passes by PDAs will be able to replace many functionalities of a laptop. It won't replace it totally, but giving the abilities to do many things that laptops can and being about to run at long lengths of battery time. What do you guys think? I just looked at the LOOX 720 and realized it as the best PDA I can get so far. It can run 7 hours and still have power left. I definitely wouldn't mind carrying this, as I can do everything on there. Only if they would make this PDA w/a keyboard like the Sony CLIE PEG-UX50, then I think it would definitely rock.

jasondearyou
10-24-2004, 01:06 AM
i definately agree with you on that, i think the loox 720 is such an awsome ppc, it has everything a person could want in a reasonable ppc, camera, wifi, bt, cf/sd, usb, over 400mhz, 128/64, size, battery, voip, and it's less that the h47XX. I almost got the dell over this but that would have been a mistake.

c38b2
10-24-2004, 01:48 AM
Nah, PDAs won't ever take the place of laptops. Sure, PDAs are capable of performing functions previously reserved to laptops, but I find that it's easier and more efficient when using a full size screen and operating system. In fact, PDAs were designed to accompany laptops and compensate for their weaknesses (PIM access) rather than trying to phase them out.

Typhoon
10-24-2004, 03:03 AM
lol yea I agree. But I was never saying that PDAs will replace them. I just admire that they last longer and are lighter than laptops. I find it dissapointing when I bring my laptop and it runs out at 3 hours or less (even when I am just doing real basic unintensive stuff) ... I need a centrino laptop but they are always so expensive ...I see now that my title is misleading though...woops

Darius Wey
10-24-2004, 03:32 AM
I think if you want to merge the concept of laptop and PDA, you bring forth the concept of the OQO. In my opinion, PDAs still have a long way to go in the market, and (1) I don't think it will replace the standard laptop, nor (2) will the laptop (or OQO for that matter) replace the PDA. I think the OQO has many more steps to take before we start to see widespread moves toward the utilisation of the device. That's the beauty of the PDA: light, simple, yet powerful! 8)

Typhoon
10-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Yea I see what you are saying. I just wish the OQO wasn't $2K. That is way too expensive. I think they gave into greed before logic. I think at $1K or less, it would fly off the shelves easier. Another thing about PDAs is that you can turn it on and off so easily and get to work instantanously. I am currently looking into porting to major PC applications to the PDA. I think that if open source apps are ported, the PDA could easily become the device to get work done when you are in a situation w/out the laptop (like waiting for a doctors appointment, etc).

Darius Wey
10-24-2004, 04:14 AM
The other thing is the fact that the OQO runs the standard PC version of Windows. For a device of its size, I would almost expect a different revision of the OS. One that packs the nice features of Windows, yet accommodates for the small screen size. That is what I like about the PDA. It uses a different OS, specifically designed for mobility in mind. What will really amplify it is once the OS goes that one step further to pack more features than what is already offered now.

Kowalski
10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Only if they would make this PDA w/a keyboard like the Sony CLIE PEG-UX50, then I think it would definitely rock.
this is what i have always wanted :D

Typhoon
10-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Exactly! That is what they should of made a long time ago. I would of! I think a lot of people would buy it. You could easily have a pocketable PDA w/a 4" screen and keyboard like the SONY CLIE PEG-UX50. Just like that, w/Wi-Fi, BT, 128 MB of RAM, 2 SD Slots side by side (I'm guessing that CF slots make it too thick?), etc., all for $500. I could imagine everyone buying one... oh yea, and put at least a 1500 mAh battery. If you take a look at the LOOX 720 PDA, that PDA is so small and thin and packs in everything (wi-fi, camera, 128 MB RAM, BT, CF & SD slots, etc.) into a 0.6" thickness and STILL has space for its 1650 mAh battery lasting 8 hours. Sometimes when it comes to designing a product, the best ideas are right in front of them...but they don't want to follow. I think someone will bring out a PDA like this. They have to. ---oh yea, and that new low-end iPAQ should cost like $100-150... companies are so pathetic now-a-days.

Darius Wey
10-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Exactly! That is what they should of made a long time ago. I would of! I think a lot of people would buy it. "snippity snip snip" the SONY CLIE PEG-UX50. "snippity snip snip" the LOOX 720 PDA, that PDA is so small and thin and packs in everything

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8066/720_UX50.jpg

Certainly is a nice idea! ;)

Typhoon
10-24-2004, 01:53 PM
lol ...where can I get one? How much is it?? (but it was supposed to be in landscape mode)

Darius Wey
10-24-2004, 02:08 PM
(but it was supposed to be in landscape mode)

You can't get the best of both worlds! ;)

Anyway, back on topic... :oops:

whatsnext?
10-25-2004, 02:23 AM
well i dont think they will ever replace laptops, but what need to happen is a virtual screen that projects onto an object so that the screen will be bigger then what is on the ppc. (ok i am not making much sense it has been a long day)

Darius Wey
10-25-2004, 04:46 AM
well i dont think they will ever replace laptops, but what need to happen is a virtual screen that projects onto an object so that the screen will be bigger then what is on the ppc. (ok i am not making much sense it has been a long day)

Are you talking about some sort of holographic projection technology?