View Full Version : Activesync and Outlook - not all contacts synchronizing!

Scott716
10-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Hoping for some suggestions with an interesting ActiveSync problem with Outlook -

There are many contacts on my Pocket PC that never get synchronized into Outlook 2003 when I run Activesync. Those contacts just remain on the Pocket PC. And it's over half my contacts! I've noticed that if I open that contact on the Pocket PC, modify anything at all, and then resync, the contact DOES get synchronized back into Outlook. But if I don't edit it, the contact remains just on the Pocket PC and never gets into Outlook. And there's no problem in the other direction; everything I enter into Outlook does get synchronized onto the Pocket PC.

Fixes I've tried: I don't use any folders for my contacts, because I've heard that can cause synchronization problems. My contacts are put into categories, but the problem is across all categories, no one specifically. And in Contact Settings, I have selected "Synchronize all Contacts." And maybe it's worth noting that ActiveSync thinks everything is okay; it never indicates any unresolved issues. It just doesn't deal with half the contacts on my Pocket PC!

Any suggestions?

It's an HP Pocket PC 2215, Outlook 2003, and Activesync 3.7.1

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Perhaps you are getting some sort of corrupt database problems on your PC.

I suggest you try deleting your current Outlook profile and recreating a new one.

To do that, open Outlook and click on File --> New --> Outlook Data File. Then select Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst). Save it in a directory of your choice.

From there, click File --> Data File Management. Click Add and select the new PST file which you just saved. Then select the currently used PST profile and click Remove. If you get errors about "default delivery locations", then click on Tools --> Email Accounts and redirect your existing email account to the new PST file. Then go back to Data File Management and delete the old one.

Now once that is all done, try synchronising again. If that doesn't work, let us know. Be sure to create a backup of all your information before you do this though. 8)

Scott716
10-23-2004, 06:17 PM
That worked - thanks for the excellent advice!

ctmagnus
11-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Ok, now maybe you can tell me why not all of my documents synch after I delete/recreate an ActiveSync partnership ;)

In particular, there are always at least three files that don't make it back to the iPaq and one of them is always my FlexWallet file.

Darius Wey
11-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Have you tried specifying another folder to be synchronised? Maybe ActiveSync is having problems with your current folder.

ctmagnus
11-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I would, but then I'd have to change my device name and all that... ;)

Fortunately, all the awol files have always been in the root of the directory so it's easy to tell which ones are missing. But it's still very annoying.

Darius Wey
11-09-2004, 06:36 AM
There's a program called MightySync. (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=32175) See if it helps.