View Full Version : Standby mode on 4700

alanm
10-22-2004, 12:53 AM
I am trying to get to grips with my first PPC (an iPAQ 4700), and have a question about the on|off button :oops: and the number of pushes required to go from fully off to fully on (and vice versa) when used on battery.
There seems to be 3 states, namely:
1. Off/standby where screen is completely blank and buttons disabled
2. Screen on minimum brightness
3. Screen on standard brightness

To switch it on, I have to push On/Off button twice. Once to go from standby/off to minimum brightness, and then once more to actually see the screen.
To switch it off, I have to push the On|Off button once then have to wait until it times out and goes into standby mode. In the meantime the buttons are still active, which causes problems if it is in my pocket.

I have been through the various settings and can't seem to avoid the intermediate minimum brightness stage when switching On or Off. Is that standard functionality, or have I missed a setting somewhere?

Just a minor nuisance in a great unit.

jpf
10-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Not standard... Make sure you've allowed your batteries to charge fully.

Mine messed about like this to start of with. I noticed the nimh battery wasn't registering as fully charged despite showing 100% before I switched the thing off.
Eventually it settled down (after a day or so). When I switched it off the screen would go dark but was still showing whatever was on the screen. If yours is anything like mine then you may benefit from installing betaplayer to clear up a bug in .Net and soft reseting after every program you install.
Don't despair, it does settle down eventually.

It's one push on/one push off btw. The screen brightness can be set for either automatic or at specific brightnesss for either mains or battery power. I'd consider taking it off auto and setting it for full on mains and 80% or so on battery (until it settles). The slider on the today screen works but seemed to be fitful to start with too.

I have experienced exactly what you are saying, it was perplexing for me too.

ADBrown
10-22-2004, 04:48 AM
I am trying to get to grips with my first PPC (an iPAQ 4700), and have a question about the on|off button :oops: and the number of pushes required to go from fully off to fully on (and vice versa) when used on battery.
There seems to be 3 states, namely:
1. Off/standby where screen is completely blank and buttons disabled
2. Screen on minimum brightness
3. Screen on standard brightness

To switch it on, I have to push On/Off button twice. Once to go from standby/off to minimum brightness, and then once more to actually see the screen.
To switch it off, I have to push the On|Off button once then have to wait until it times out and goes into standby mode. In the meantime the buttons are still active, which causes problems if it is in my pocket.

From what I'm reading, you're pressing and holding the power button. That doesn't turn the unit off, it just turns the backlight on and off. Press the power button once and release it to turn the unit on or off. It will maintain its last level of brightness.

jimski
10-22-2004, 04:54 AM
Actually I think you are just holding the power button too long. When you are in your #3 status (screen on standard brightness), you only need a quick tap of the power button to turn the device off (status #1 - off/standby). If you hold the button too long (about 2 seconds) the backlight turns off, but the device is still on (your status #2). This is a feature built into every PPC to save power when listening to music for example.

It takes a little getting used to but just a quick press to turn on or off is all you need. I still accidently turn off the backlight occasionally, but as you noted it will eventually time out and go to sleep.

Lucky you that your first PPC is a 4700 :multi: . Great device.

alanm
10-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Wow, thanks everyone. Those tips certainly helped. :D