View Full Version : PocketDiVxEncoder - what do the log entries mean?

Vanamonde
10-21-2004, 10:02 AM
When I try and encode high res Xvid AVIs (capped from an NTSC source) to a lower res with PDE I get videos that playback jerky. Looking at the log file I see the following:

[mpeg4 @ 0x1060e3f0]frame skip 8
[mpeg4 @ 0x1060e3f0]frame skip 8

Followed by hundreds of:

[mpeg4 @ 0x1060e3f0]vop not coded

Anyway to stop PDE from skipping frames? and what does VOP NOT CODED mean?

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 10:20 AM
VOP stands for "Video Object Plane". Basically, each VOP is a video frame of each object that is to be coded. So if it's not coded, you will get disparities in the video frames of each particular part of the video. It's a bit hard to explain but I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)

The fact that you are getting frame-skips probably means that at some point in the encoding, the "motion" (in simple-terms) of the video is too much for the encoder to handle, which brings forth this whole concept of keyframes. I'm not sure you can adjust the keyframe settings in PocketDivXEncoder, so you may just have to increase the quality setting.

However, if you expand "Advanced Options", it may help to tick B-frames and 2-pass encoding to help improve the entire encoding process. If you are having problems seeing as though it is from an NTSC source, it may also help to tick IVTC as this helps resolve any synchronisation issues pertaining to NTSC as a source.

Give that a go. Hope it helps. :)