View Full Version : Connect via Wireless with Qtek 9090

ricard
10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Hello

When i am trying to reach internet through my Qtek 9009 is says "the page can not be found". I am connected to my own wireless network and the signal is good. Is there any other settings i need to fix (ex network card or something??). Under wireless manager settings there is no options (like for gprs), lIt feels like there is some settings missing for the wireless part...?

Connecting through gprs works perfect.

I could really use av step by step for the newbie here...:)

Thankx!

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Have you pre-configured your internet connection for sharing?

If you give me a few more details about your computer setup, I can guide you through this. ;)

ricard
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello, thanks for your reply.

Yes it has been configured because it works with my laptop, not very stabil though.... I just found the admin site for my d-link router and everything looks ok here.

If i click the WLAN symbol in the right corner it is connected to my home network (named default) and it is in infrastructure mode, has nr 6 channel etc, just like in the D-Link admin site on my computer. The signal is ok, the W symbol appears instead of the G but then when i try to connect to for example www.download.com, IE respond "the page you are looking for cant be found".

Under my network cards it says "My network card connects me to work".
Do i have to make any changes here?, what kind of card should i choose (there are 6 different)

Under Wireless manager there is no option in front of WLAN but it says "WiFi connection is in use". In front of GPRS there is a check box where i have my ISP connection name.

Hopefully you can help me, would really like to be able to connect through WLAN at home..:)

Ricard from Sweden

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Give this a go. I'm assuming you are using Windows XP.

Click Start, then Connect To - Show all connections

From there, right-click the internet connection that your PC uses and select Properties. From there, click the Advanced tab and from there, you can enable sharing of your internet connection. Tick the relevant boxes and ensure that the connection is shared over your wireless network connection.

If that doesn't work, let us know. ;)

ricard
10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Hello, ok i tryed and the little box with "allow other network users to connect" was not ticked so i had my hopes... but then this message came (translated from swedish..:)

"A error occured, the internet connection can not be activated.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP adress that is demanded for automatic IP adressing.

Hmmm...?

If you have any other suggestions i am more than greatful.

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Okay, this has to do with the way your PC is managing IP addresses for all devices that are part of the network.

I suggest that on your main PC, you preconfigure the IP address to the usual 192.168.0.1

All other devices you can leave to automatically get its own IP address. The way to do this is to right click the wireless network connection in "Show all connections" and select Properties.

In the General tab, if you scroll down the little text box, you should find a line called Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Select it and click Properties, and from here, you should make it automatically obtain its IP and DNS addresses. This is also the same way you preconfigure your PC to the 192.168.0.1 IP address.

Give that one a go, and let us know if it works. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say that the method I posted for configuring automatic IP addresses applies to Windows based OSes. If you want to do this on your Pocket PC, it depends on the interface of your WLAN settings. But I'm sure you can work that one out. :D

ricard
10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Hello again, thank you for your time.

When you say "configure my main PC to IP 198.... etc, where do i do that?
I dont have a wireless connection tab, only internetconnection and remotconnection.

Under TCP/IP on my main PC and laptop i have automatic IP, on my router i have filled in the IP provided to me by my ISP so i think i am ok there because everything works good and i can connect with my laptop to the internet.

On the Qtek i cant find the option to get automatic IP... I dont really understand if i must configure any "networkcard" on my Qtek or is it fine when it says i am connected. What is newtworkcard..?

/Ricard

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Configuring your PC's IP address to 192.168.0.1 can be done in the same Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties page as I discussed earlier. However, if you do not have a wireless connection tab, try it in Remote Connection, although this is a very vague description and I'm not 100% sure what your Remote Connection relates to.

On your Pocket PC, there should be WLAN settings somewhere where you should be able to configure your IP addresses. Have a look at your settings page. There may be an icon there.

The fact that it states it's connected does not necessarily mean you have IP addresses configured correctly.

ricard
10-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Hello again, i gave it another try tonight but still no luck...

1. My wireless network is working with my laptop in my apartment.
2. I have the static IP on my D-Link router and other devices are on dynamic.
3. My main PC gets the IP automatic and DHCP is enabled
4. My Qtek 9090 says its connected, the signal is good, all the right adresses (Mac, BSSID (?), channel etc is ok)
5. When i try to connect through my Qtek is responds "The page you are looking for can not be found"...:(

When I look under "all connections", "advanced" and tick the box that says "give other users the right to connect through this computer" I get a error message saying that "the IP that it needs to renew is being occupied by another LAN connection....

I have tried to disconnect it vi my D-Link but it doesnt work.
I have tried to set my main PC to a static IP adress (as suggested but then no internet acces)

It seems iŽll have to settle for bluetooth connection through Active Sync for now...

Problem is the same thing happens at work when i found a network, so I guess my problem is in the Qtek 9090 and some settings..?

/Ricard

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 04:15 AM
Do you have any other network connections established that may have colluding IP addresses? This can be any type of connection - Wi-Fi, BT, cable, etc.

ricard
10-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I do have one big problem that i forgot to mention.

I have "installed" my networkcard in my main pc more than four times after switching place for other cards. That has resulted in that my networkcard now has the name "local network nr 5". My brother told me that happens and that XP thinks its a new card everytime..

When i restart my computer i always have to unplug my netwokrk cable and deactivate my card and then plug the cable in again and reactivate the card..., phu! I gues the way to fix this is to format the harddisc, i have search the net for an other solution but nu luck.

I dont have any other connections that collude, i think..

The only ones i have is:
- Local network nr 5 (automatic IP)
- Blutooth network (automatic IP)
- 1394 net adapter connection nr 2
(same problem as network card (gets the IP automatic)

I tried to make a wireless network with the tool from service pack 2 but no luck. Maybe i am missing the wireless network?? Do i need to have that even though i have the router?

Oh boy there are so many settings and I am confused...:)

Thanks again for your help!

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 09:41 AM
The whole numbering system applied to your network cards is a common issue, and it should not affect your settings in any way.

I'm actually quite interested to see how you went about establishing your wireless connection. Is your wireless connection open or closed and do you have some sort of data encryption involved (e.g. WEP or WPA)? If so, do you have network keys for this and are they automatically or manually configured?

ricard
10-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Ok, is there a way to "clear" the port so i dont have to do the whole procedure with deactivating and so on?

My setup:
1. I have the DSL cable connected to my broadband modem
2. I have one cable to my D-Link router and then one cable to my main computer.
3. I have my laptop configured for automatic IP.

I tried the wireless connection just now and now its is not working! :(
It used to work a couple of days ago but now (maybe after installing SP 2 on my main computer) it is not working any more. The card in my laptop does not turn green and i cant start the wireless utility.

Have i done the right setup with my router etc? You mentioned before that I should assign the IP for my main PC but when i did that i could not get any connection. Should not the router suppose to give IP to all other computers etc.?

/Ricard

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 11:26 AM
The card in my laptop does not turn green and i cant start the wireless utility.

Does Windows recognise the card?

Right-click My Computer and click Manage. From there, click Device Manager, and look under Network Adapters. Is your card present and is it having any conflicts?

ricard
10-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Hello, my girlfriend made my stop writing and eat, thats why my replay is late..:)

I dont have an internal card, i have a netgear card that i put in the slot for that. The internal network card is recognized (Realtek Fast ethenernet) but thats not it, is it?

I guess i should find my Netgear wireless card somewhere in the device manager...?

I feel my problems grow bigger and bigger. I will try to start over and create a new wireless network.

Have i done the right setup with the router and the fixed IP and then dynamic for my main PC and the laptop (and then hopefully the Qtek 9090:) ?

/Ricard

Darius Wey
10-23-2004, 11:58 AM
The Realtek drivers are native ones preconfigured in Windows. They basically serve to recognise your device in case you don't have the proper company drivers on hand. It may help to download the proper Netgear drivers to add the functionality that comes with your card. Often is the case that the Realtek drivers will not provide added features that may be present.

Perhaps it may be best to start fresh as you stated.
Your setup is fine. Try to keep your router at a fixed IP - usually 192.168.0.1 (this is the most commonly used one, but you don't have to use this if you don't want to). Your subnet mask, in most cases, should be 255.255.255.0

Your other computers/devices should hopefully recognise the network connection and connect to it fine whilst establishing valid IP addresses as well. But I suppose the main task would be to start fresh and ensure you have your wireless network up and running before we focus on the Qtek.

ricard
10-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Hello again

Here is a little update:

I managed to mess my internet connection so I had no internet yesterday. When fixing with the wireless part I lost my internet connection and everything was sad. Then a friend helped me over the telephone and manged to explain to mer how I should set up my Qtek for the wireless. I had forgot to enter the key, i thought i was distributed to me automatic but i guess not.. I got it connected to my router but then it was stop.

Since I had no connection and therefore no wireless network i was still frustrated.

I managed to get the internet going this morning with help from my ISP support (i had entered the old IP, that was one of the problems). But I am only connected through my my computer, not the router, so my problem is in the D-link router. I will call D-Link the but right now I am pleased with having a connection again.

Its strange because everything should work, the d-link is properly configured and i can ping and so on but still no luck. My problem is that I understand some parts but not the details so I am stuck.

I will report back when I am wirelessly connected...:)

Thanks again for your help!

ricard
10-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Hello, now i am all set up. My network is up again and on my first attempt I got connected. just wanted to let u know... :lol:

Thanks!
Ricard

Darius Wey
10-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Hello, now i am all set up. My network is up again and on my first attempt I got connected. just wanted to let u know... :lol:

Thanks!
Ricard

That's great news! :way to go:

When you say you "connected" on your first attempt, are you referring to your computers, or your Qtek?

ricard
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Hello, I am connected with my Qtek :)

I had to fill in the key manually, i thought it would be distributed to me by my router but I guess that was wrong. So after som problems I am now connected.

Now one problem remains, my laptop and itwireless card seems to have stopped working..:( When i put the card in to the slot itd dead and the wireless program wont start...:( I will give it a try tomorrow.

I will now surf this forum from bed and drive my girlfriend crazy...:)

Good night

Darius Wey
10-26-2004, 04:31 AM
Now one problem remains, my laptop and itwireless card seems to have stopped working..:( When i put the card in to the slot itd dead and the wireless program wont start...:( I will give it a try tomorrow.

I will now surf this forum from bed and drive my girlfriend crazy...:)

Good night

Hmm....what network card do you have for the laptop? I think the best option here would be to uninstall whatever current drivers you have for it on your laptop, download the latest ones, and install those to see if it rectifies the problem.