View Full Version : What has happened to PPCT?!

Enderet
10-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Ok maybe this has been around for a while... but I just noticed it.

This site seems to be infested with those obnoxious "Has your computer been running slow, YOU MAY BE INFESTED WITH SPYWARE! Click here now to check your computer!"

"Express yourself with 4,000 FREE Smileys! Click Here - get them all now!"

And other similar banners. :( Since when did PPCT start carrying this kind of advertisement?

tanalasta
10-21-2004, 08:49 AM
http://a.as-us.falkag.net/dat/bgf/200410/01/728x90.gif

Ironically, that free spyware remover ad is on top of this page right now.

I'm rather suss about that. And these "free" spyware programs... Can we please maintain some integrity in PPCT ads please?

Enderet
10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
That is a different one from the one that I encountered. Mine was gray.

Jacob
10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
I think I've seen the one you're referring to. It's the one that has the image that shakes around?

That's the most annoying add I've seen on the site. I don't mind banners, but the ones that do that are irritating.

Kati Compton
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm sure Jason didn't select that ad as one to use on this site.

What happens is that this site has the specific ads from people that want to advertise on PPCT, but then an ad service is used to fill in the gaps. While it's *supposed* to stay related to the site in some way, they sometimes drift a bit in that definition...

TopDog
10-21-2004, 09:06 PM
I don't really care what kind of ad's there are... nowadays everybody have a website, and every website have ad's so I've learned to ignore them. I don't really notice ad's anymore.

Enderet
10-21-2004, 11:59 PM
I don't really care what kind of ad's there are... nowadays everybody have a website, and every website have ad's so I've learned to ignore them. I don't really notice ad's anymore.

Well thats great for you, but I personaly hate it when there are ads in sites (especialy PPCT which I dont remember ever having this problem before), that in no way pertain to what the site is about.

JustinGTP
10-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Jason has to make money, and I bet you that he already has got all of the advertisers for Pocket PC related stuff, and I bet you all of those didn't make enough to keep the site afloat, so hence getting money elsewhere from different advertisers.

If you come to PPCT for the advertisements.... :roll:

Darius Wey
10-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Well thats great for you, but I personaly hate it when there are ads in sites (especialy PPCT which I dont remember ever having this problem before), that in no way pertain to what the site is about.

Rest assured my friend, I've been getting more "relevant" advertisements as of late. I don't think I've seen one of "those" advertisements in the past 14-16 hours.

maximus
10-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I only got vonage advertisement lately.

But there was days when there is a dropping down advertisement (from monster.com, I think), the one that when you accidentally moved your mouse on top of the advertisement, it drops down and fill a quarter of your screen ...

Enderet
10-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Wow!

Ok, for those that have Firefox... right click on the banner/ad that you dont want and then select, something that says "Block images from xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

I did that and no more banner ads about getting 7,000 smilys. :D

Steven Cedrone
10-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Guys, take a look at this thread for an explanation about the ads...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11734&start=0

Steve

dean_shan
10-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Or you could be a subscriber and never see any more ads again.

Enderet
10-22-2004, 06:26 PM

really? I didnt know that.

Kati Compton
10-22-2004, 09:29 PM

really? I didnt know that.

Yes. Since subscribers are directly supporting the site with money, they have an option to turn off the ads.

Remember - it actually costs money to run a site, not just in terms of the hours the staff put in, but also for server space, bandwidth, etc. That's why there are ads. Subscribing is another way to have the same effect.

Jacob
10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Yes. Since subscribers are directly supporting the site with money, they have an option to turn off the ads.

Note that the lite subscription does not have the ability to turn off ads. Only the "Full" subscription allows you to do this.

It's not whether you support the site with money, it's how much ;)

Kati Compton
10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Note that the lite subscription does not have the ability to turn off ads. Only the "Full" subscription allows you to do this.

It's not whether you support the site with money, it's how much ;)
Ah - I keep forgetting that. I have a free subscription because I work here. :P

bjornkeizers
10-23-2004, 10:36 AM
The banners and stuff don't bother me. It's like ... say, you're sitting in a room with the radio on or an annoying buzzing sound. If you sit there long enough, you don't notice it. I've simply tuned out the ads. I don't miss them, considering I'm not interested in the offers anyway. If I want to buy something, I take the initiative.

ctmagnus
10-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I recently turned off the ads. One of them on the main page was calling intellifunc.js on some site and whenever that file started to load, my whole browser would lock up until the ad finished loading. I tried adding that site to the blocked sites list, but the script kept coming down. So now I surf this site adless, even though I found some of them to be useful and informative. :(

Jason Dunn
11-04-2004, 06:19 AM
I can't add much beyond the post that Steve referenced above.

In an ideal world I'd have 100% ads from Pocket PC and technology companies, but I don't live in an ideal world...the less "real" sponsors I have, the more I have no choice but to show the low paying, blinking banner crap. :?

It's either that or shut down the site, so take your pick. :wink: