View Full Version : G.726 Audio Codec for WMP for PPC

nz0eBoy
10-21-2004, 02:33 AM
I just got a Pansonic DVD recorder which allows me to save recorded TV Shows to an SD Card. Great now I can watch TV Shows on the go.

The video is saved as an .asf file at QVGA, even better as I have not upgraded to a VGA device yet.

I pop the SD card in my PPC, open Windows Media Player and voila, the video is there in all its glory. No sound, oh right I forgot to take my PPC off mute. I change the volume and still no sound.

I check the maual for the Panasonic Recorder and discover they use a G.726 Audio Codec. After some digging around I find this is supported on WMP for XP, but I have to disable unsigned Active X Controls security to get it to download.

This doesn't help me with my PPC however.

Things were so close, why do Panasonic decide to support some seemingly obscure audio codec. Sure I can run this through Windows Movie Maker, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

I know WMP10 for PPC supports additional codec plug ins, I belive Dell has already added support for a couple of other codecs - does anyone want to take a punt on whether there will be a plug in for this codec?

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 08:17 AM
I know WMP10 for PPC supports additional codec plug ins, I belive Dell has already added support for a couple of other codecs - does anyone want to take a punt on whether there will be a plug in for this codec?

I take it that you have a Dell Pocket PC then? :)

While I can't offer any first-hand solutions to implementing the G.726 codec into Windows Media Player, I can offer another solution.

If you haven't yet already heard about the BetaPlayer program, have a look at it here. (http://betaplayer.corecodec.org)

This fast video application supports additional plugins (http://plugins.topcat.hu/) and lo-and-behold, there it is! Support for G.726 ADPCM.

Hope that helps. ;)

nz0eBoy
10-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I am looking at upgrading to the Dell, but they haven't been released in New Zealand yet.

Thanks for the heads up, I use Betaplyer now for playing the .avi files from my digital camera. I had looked at the plugins but obviously did not see this - must have been having a man's look.

I downloaded the additional plug in and everything is sweet - thanks for the help.

Darius Wey
10-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I use Betaplyer now for playing the .avi files from my digital camera. I had looked at the plugins but obviously did not see this - must have been having a man's look.

I downloaded the additional plug in and everything is sweet - thanks for the help.

A man's look?!? :lol: We're not that bad are we? :P

Anyway, you're welcome. More codecs are added from time to time so if you ever have trouble in the future playing a certain file, I reckon you can put your money on the fact that Betaplayer supports it one way or the other. ;)