View Full Version : ActiveSync ain't syncing anymore

tobyrne
10-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey guys.

I own a Toshiba e755, never had any problems with her before today. I installed some new programs to remotely control winamp via wifi, IRemote and NetRemote. Unfortunately, none of them worked properly so I uninstalled both.

Now for some reason, everytime the OS loads after soft-reset, I get two "Notification Error" screen. Says it can't load the .exe for those two programs. I tried deleting the registry keys affliliated with the programs, but I still get the error. And on top of that, ActiveSync is dead.

I tried syncing on 3 different computers with 2 different cradles and hotsync cables .. nothing. I'm not sure if these two problems are related, but they both happened at the same time.

Anyway, has anyone had a problem like this before ? Any ideas as to fixing it ? I could always flip the ol' reset switch, but reinstalling is a b****.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

yankeejeep
10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Check the Windows\StartUp folder on your device. There may still be shortcut files there pointing to the uninstalled apps. If there are and they are creating a startup failure, ActiveSync may not be able to communicate with the device due to other services that are aborted by the startup error.

If you find orphaned .lnk files in StartUp, deleting tham and then doing a soft reset may restore AS functionality for you.

tobyrne
10-22-2004, 02:30 AM
No luck .. Didn't find anything in the startup folder. I guess I'll have to hard reset it.

Little bit of advice for all ppc users, don't install NetRemote or IRemote. It'll screw up your pda really bad.

victore
10-26-2004, 01:33 AM
DON'T HARD RESET! Head over here: http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html and grab a copy of CheckNotifications. Install it to your PDA and run it. You'll find two entries related to the programs you tried to uninstall. Delete those and you'll be set.