View Full Version : 3115 users speak up

wxboss
10-18-2004, 01:06 AM
I bought a 3115 about a week ago and I'm really pleased with it. With W-Fi and bluetooth integration and a nice multi-media package bundled with it, I think it's a pretty good deal for the money. The internal memory is a little short, yet SD cards are a pretty cheap fix for that.

Since I haven't heard a lot of 'buzz' about this model, I was curious how other owners of this model feel about it.

crimsonsky
10-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I am really impressed with my 3115. It is the replacement for my 2215 which was driving me nuts with its anomalies. I bought it mainly because of the dual radios but find that I'm really enjoying the Media Center stuff as well, especially the streaming video and audio.

The d-pad isn't mushy!!!! That was one of the biggest frustrations with the 2215 for me. I've only had mine about a week, but the battery life on it seems to be better than the 2215, and for sure, the battery life with WiFi is far superior to the 2215 with the Ambicom CF WiFi card that I was using (boy, was that a power-hungry combination!)

Honestly, except for MS Reader (which I almost never use), I don't notice that it's any slower even though it has a slower processor. The screen is as good as that on the 2215, so no complaints there.

The landscape mode is nice to have, but without having a VGA screen, it's really of marginal usefulness.

All told, I don't regret the change from the 2215 at all - although I do miss the CF slot.

Don

x999x
10-18-2004, 09:25 AM
I had a 3115 for a couple weeks, and ended up returning it simply because I'm a stickler for speed and formfactor.

I ended up with a 4155 which I have been more than pleased with. Although I do fancy the newer OS that the 3115 sports, it's size made it a little difficult for me to keep it in my front pants pocket as I prefer.

As a trade off for size however, the 4155 has a much shorter battery life when wifi-ing around the house in comparison to the 3115. The irony on my part however was buying an extended battery for my 4155 that gives me an hour or so more than the 3115, but puts a portion of the device back at the same thickness of the 3115... so much for my formfactor :P

If I had to do it all over again, I believe I would still have settled with the 4155, but after reading today's frontpage, I'm begining to think I should have waited and got an x30 with an extra battery as I was originally planning on doing... Oh well, you live and learn...

My next PPC will definately be a Dell, that mini Deathstar Docking Cradle is easily 80% of the reason to get one.

TheOrange
10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
3115 OWNERS UNITE!!!

I've had my 3115 for about two months now - I love it. I see it getting a bad rap now and then and I just don't get it. The processor is plenty fast, the screen is great (much better than my Viewsonic V36) and the onboard WiFi and BT combo puts it over the top. I think maybe its a little over-priced for what it is (I payed $150 less than retail for mine, so I can't complain. I probably wouldn't have paid $350 for it though). Its only the second PPC I have owned, but I love the fact that I can charge this baby up with nothing more than the USB sync cable. Lack of accessories is a serious issue in my book. I am yet to find an aluminum case and a cradle for mine. Bottom line: I am a big fan of my little rx3115.

bob1919a
10-19-2004, 02:40 AM
I had mine for for one week. I HATED it. Maybe I got a dud or something but it was SO incredibly slow!! My old 1910 plays movies faster...

crimsonsky
10-19-2004, 03:14 AM
I had mine for for one week. I HATED it. Maybe I got a dud or something but it was SO incredibly slow!! My old 1910 plays movies faster...

You got a dud. Slow it is not - as mentioned above, except for the startup of MS Reader, I don't notice any difference in practical use from the 2215 it replaced.

My first PPC was a 1910 - and if your 2115 was slower than the 1910 you got a super dud. I've not had a movie yet that the 3115 couldn't handle well.

Don

crimsonsky
10-19-2004, 03:17 AM
3115 OWNERS UNITE!!!

I've had my 3115 for about two months now - I love it. I see it getting a bad rap now and then and I just don't get it. The processor is plenty fast, the screen is great (much better than my Viewsonic V36) and the onboard WiFi and BT combo puts it over the top. I think maybe its a little over-priced for what it is (I payed $150 less than retail for mine, so I can't complain. I probably wouldn't have paid $350 for it though). Its only the second PPC I have owned, but I love the fact that I can charge this baby up with nothing more than the USB sync cable. Lack of accessories is a serious issue in my book. I am yet to find an aluminum case and a cradle for mine. Bottom line: I am a big fan of my little rx3115.

I paid full retail and still feel I got a good deal. Heck, my e740 and e755 both cost me $500 when I bought them and neither was as good a value as the 3115.

Nix on the hard case here as well, but you do realise that you can buy both the cradle and the 2880 mAh battery retail now? I didn't buy the cradle but I did buy the extended battery at CompUSA.

Don

TheOrange
10-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I paid full retail and still feel I got a good deal. Heck, my e740 and e755 both cost me $500 when I bought them and neither was as good a value as the 3115.

Nix on the hard case here as well, but you do realise that you can buy both the cradle and the 2880 mAh battery retail now? I didn't buy the cradle but I did buy the extended battery at CompUSA.

Don

I suppose you are right - I just need perspective. I paid $350 for my Palm Vx back in the day. For some reason I expect more, powerful, more usable devices for far less money. So ya, $350 for a 3115 doesn't sound so bad. ...given perspective.

hokie36
12-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Don

How much size does the 2880 mAh battery add to the 3115? I am coming back to the PocketPC camp and getting the rx3115 and I definitely want a bigger battery. I am trying to keep the size pretty much the same because I have a generic belt case that it will fit in perfect now. Not sure if it will fit if the battery makes it fat.

PBR
12-08-2004, 12:24 AM
First one I bought was a dog so i exchanged it at Circuit City and havent had a problem since.

Ck87.JF
01-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Hello, all!
I'm Chris, and I am the owner of a COOL new HP iPAQ rx3115 Mobile Media Companion.
Okay, that's kind of obvious, considering the thread, but I figured it'd be a nice way to introduce myself. :D
This is actually technically my fourth PDA, though I suppose you could say it's my second. See, my very first was a Palm Zire 31. My only real purpose for it was taking notes/writing letters/stuff like that. When I went to the store to get one, I figured that the calendar stuff would be nice, too. I was going to get the 21, which was only $100, because it had what I wanted, but the dude convinced me to get the 31. He reasoned that with a backlight and color screen, I could see it much better than the 21, especially outside. Plus, I could use it at night. Also, it has an SD slot, so I could use it for music, and all that stuff. So I got it, and I liked it. Then it started randomly resetting, blah blah blah. Not too long after that, I got another one, still under the limited warranty. I think I left my SD card in it, which sucks, and I realized that far too late. I got another one later, so I'm fine.
THis was during this past summer, and so I've used it from the end of summer to a bit before Christmas... a semester in school. Well, a couple of months before school was over, I was at church playing basketball after class, when my PDA fell out of my pocket in the grass. I had no clue, and I had thought it was inside. Well, it wasn't, and three days later (Saturday), I was playing basketball again (there was some event going on, so that's why I was there... but I was bored of it so I played basketball), and when the ball fell, and I went to get it, I saw it laying there, in the rain-soaked grass. I was like, "oh shoot!" I rushed inside, got a paper towel, and dried the outside of it off, and when my Grandma was finished at church, we went to a few different places to get a screw driver to open the PDA and let it dry. I did so, and put it back together, then charged it. The screen is messed up, because whenever it's turned on, it starts going black. If it's off for a while, it clears up, but as soon as you turn it on, it goes black again. And the battery doesn't work right anymore, either; even when the PDA is off, the battery discharges, so after an hour off the charger, it is half-gone. I decided I wanted to get a PocketPC to replace the about-dead Zire, so that I could use REAL writing, instead of Graphitti, and also be able to work from within a Windows environment. I also thought the added wifi would be nice. After looking around, I settled on either the HP iPAQ rx3115, or the Dell Axim x30 (the middle model - wifi/bt, but standard speed). THe first is $320, and the Dell is $280, so I was leaning on Dell. I had to "leave" it because we don't have a Dell store ANYWHERE near us, and I had read a bunch of user comments on some site about horrible customer support and shipping. The iPAQ was only a couple of hours away, in Asheville at Sam's Club, so we went there and got it. I used it for a few weeks, and then on Wednesday, I got out of school, and a couple of hours later, I turned the iPAQ on to use it, and it was completely locked up. I tapped the screen to get rid of the User Information that pops up upon turning on, and started typing my password when the password screen came up. The only problem is, no asterisks appeared in the blanks. I soft reset it, and even hard reset it, both several times, all to no avail. I could connect it to ActiveSync, but I couldn't actually USE the PDA. Mom took it to Hickory (which we found had a Sam's Club, and is closer to home) and got another one, and it's fine. But it doesn't seem as good as the last one, oddly enough. I run the stylus across the screen, and it seems it runs into bumps, or something. And the case isn't as soft on the inside as the last one I had. But that's fine - after all, it works, right? :D

So, I use it for notes/emails/letters, Internet activity, pictures/music, and PIM apps (it really helps when someone asks - when's the next concert? Or something like that. I just say, "hang on a sec," and I look it up. Also, if there's something I need to remember, I just set a time and it rings to alert me. "Is that your phone?" I laugh, and say "no, just my PDA.").
By the way, is there a way to add alarm tones? The loudest one doesn't seem to be loud enough, or even long enough - on my Zire, I downloaded this set of rings someone compiled, and used one of the rings that was both loud and long - I think Pink Panther, or something.

WOW - sorry for the length, I guess I'm just so excited. 8)

Steven Cedrone
01-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts Chris!

crimsonsky
01-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Don

How much size does the 2880 mAh battery add to the 3115? I am coming back to the PocketPC camp and getting the rx3115 and I definitely want a bigger battery. I am trying to keep the size pretty much the same because I have a generic belt case that it will fit in perfect now. Not sure if it will fit if the battery makes it fat.

First, Rhinoskin has released an aluminum hard case for the rx3000 series - just bought mine at CompUSA last week. Love it!

Secondly, the 2880 mAh battery is about twice as thick as the standard battery. It's a little brick. The battery does come with a cover and a separate charger that you can use with or without a cradle.

I've never used it below 50%, but based on that I would estimate 18 hours per full charge out of it.

Don

Ck87.JF
01-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts Chris!

Thanks, Steven! :)

Fishie
01-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I have the rx3715 and well Morphgear snes module is giving me grief so I am not entirely happy with it.
Insane battery life though, even with wifi on.
Excellent and fast machine apart from the morphgear snes problem.

I do want a VGA device again though so if there are any takers.

lorettaboy
01-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I also have the rx3715 and have to say theat I am very happy with it. I originally got a 3115, but wanted the extra power and battery life for emulation gaming. I can play SNES games with sound, and don't notice any performance issues. I am in Canada, so I had to get my unit from ebay. I ended up paying $400US for it, so only a couple of bucks more than I paid for the previous 3115!

For those of you with a 3115 wanting more battery power:
why not buy a standard rx3715 battery? It is 1400mah instead of 900mah, and it is the same size! This way you can dramatically increase your battery life without increasing the size of your unit.

:D

Ck87.JF
01-24-2005, 03:58 AM
For those of you with a 3115 wanting more battery power: why not buy a standard rx3715 battery? It is 1400mah instead of 900mah, and it is the same size! This way you can dramatically increase your battery life without increasing the size of your unit.

Is there any damage to be had from switching an rx3715 battery into an rx3115 unit?

Also, I wanted to ask a question: are there any voice recording programs that work off a schedule? Like, if I wanted my PDA to record from 10 AM to 10:20 AM, but I was not going to be near it at the time?
I could just hit record and leave it, but that would record a lot of unnecessary time, plus put a drain on the battery.
This way, I could use it like a "spy" tool.
Don't worry, this isn't for bad purposes - it's for good.
I need to find out if someone is saying inappropriate things when I'm not around.
Thanks, have a good evening.
~Christopher

crimsonsky
01-24-2005, 04:02 AM
For those of you with a 3115 wanting more battery power: why not buy a standard rx3715 battery? It is 1400mah instead of 900mah, and it is the same size! This way you can dramatically increase your battery life without increasing the size of your unit.

Is there any damage to be had from switching an rx3715 battery into an rx3115 unit?

Also, I wanted to ask a question: are there any voice recording programs that work off a schedule? Like, if I wanted my PDA to record from 10 AM to 10:20 AM, but I was not going to be near it at the time?
I could just hit record and leave it, but that would record a lot of unnecessary time, plus put a drain on the battery.
This way, I could use it like a "spy" tool.
Don't worry, this isn't for bad purposes - it's for good.
I need to find out if someone is saying inappropriate things when I'm not around.
Thanks, have a good evening.
~Christopher

I can only address the battery issue, and the short answer is no. The 1440 and 2880 mAH batteries are for the entire 3000 series. And I say if you're going to go for an extended battery, go for the 2880 if you can afford it.

Stevepup
01-29-2005, 03:09 AM
I've had my rx3115 for about 2 months now. I'm really pleased with it, but it has so many features and extra programs, I haven't had time to figure all of them out. I love the Nevo remote control! But, I haven't figured out how to use/what to do with the "Media Control Center" and the "Nevo Backup".

My Rhinoskin Aluminum Case arrived the other day and I'm so happy with it! I had a Rhinoskin hard case for my 1945 I used to have and loved it and I'm just as pleased, if not more so, with this case for my 3115. I also bought one of the new HP 4-in-1 Stylus. It's really cool Anyone have any new goodlies or programs for their 3115 they'd suggest getting?

I want to get the most out of my iPAQ, so let me in on any ideas or programs or accessories that really work for you!

LordVagabond
02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey all. FIRST POST! 8O

I am a student at the University of Calgary, in Alberta, Canada. On wednesday I placed my order for.... you guessed it, an rx3115! ^__^ As part of the order, I also got a 1 gb SD card for $40 CDN off retail, and I am going to the local computer store to get me a Belkin IR keyboard so I can use my iPAQ for classes (ie notes and such). I chose the rx3115 after a ton of searching and research and reading reviews and boards such as this one, before deciding that as a tech-savvy geek user, the rx3115 had everything I wanted, namely roaming internet, the media ability (mp3 player for walking to/from school, as well as video player for watching movies between classes), the awesome support that many people have reported that HP has, and the features list for the price point that the rx3115 is at.

So, come Tuesday next week, I'll make my first post on this board from my new iPAQ rx3115 :D

Cheers all

LV

Steven Cedrone
02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey all. FIRST POST! 8O

I am a student at the University of Calgary, in Alberta, Canada. On wednesday I placed my order for.... you guessed it, an rx3115! ^__^ As part of the order, I also got a 1 gb SD card for $40 CDN off retail, and I am going to the local computer store to get me a Belkin IR keyboard so I can use my iPAQ for classes (ie notes and such). I chose the rx3115 after a ton of searching and research and reading reviews and boards such as this one, before deciding that as a tech-savvy geek user, the rx3115 had everything I wanted, namely roaming internet, the media ability (mp3 player for walking to/from school, as well as video player for watching movies between classes), the awesome support that many people have reported that HP has, and the features list for the price point that the rx3115 is at.

So, come Tuesday next week, I'll make my first post on this board from my new iPAQ rx3115 :D

Cheers all

LV

Welcome LordVagabond! Be sure to let us know your initial impressions as you start to use this device!

Steve

garlic
02-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Proud new owner of an rx3115 which is replacing my 2215.

People who think the 2215 and 4155 with thier 400mhz Xscale CPUs are so much faster than this samsung 300mhz CPU are FOOLS....The samsung CPU does more work per clock cycle hence even though the lower clock speed of 300mhz it is just as fast at a 400mhz Xscale! No joke....alot of people dont know this....and DONT listen to those stupid Spb benchmarks. They are flat out inaccurate and a FASLE representation of a PPC performance. This has been proven time and time again.
Look at the fps on each PPC. To the left is the 2215 to the right is the rx3115. 2215 is barely faster...
http://www.vster.com/rx3115.htm

The picture dont show it but the rx3115 screen is MUCH better than the 2215. The 2215 screen looks washed out compared the the rx3115. Again you cant tell in the pictures.

Whats great about the rx3115 is you get over 8 HOURS of use with the 1440mAh battery which is the same physical size as the 920mAh so there is no huge brick sticking out the back.....

Good luck trying to get 8 hours out of a 2215 or 4155! Heck good luck trying to get 5 hours!

Phrank
03-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Hello all! This is my first post. I just got a rx3115. Long story short, my girlfriend bought me a Zire 72s for Valentines day, the camera on it died after 48 hrs and I upgraded to the rx3115. I am very happy with it so far. I just have figure out how to use it. this is my first PDA. I do have a question or 2.
What case is best for it?
Has anyone used Skype on it?
(Skype says 400mhz minimum, but was wondering if they are just being safe on that number. ) Thanks in Advance!

-Frank

raptor13
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
My suggestion for a case would be the javo edge clear case. I have a clear case for the iPAQ 1715 and love it (the case, not so much the 1715!). My case is from proporta but I think the javo edge should be similar..at the moment proporta does not offer a clear case for 3115. Anyways I really love the clear case, it protects the iPAQ great and still allows you to see the screen with the cover on. If you program your hard buttons right you can use it most of the time without opening the cover. Anyways I might upgrade to the 3115 and that would be the case I would try. Hope you find one you like. Mike

Orbsplateau
03-05-2005, 07:00 AM
edit: i'm removing this post because it was off-topic and I got the answer to my question, thanks.

garlic
03-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Hello all! This is my first post. I just got a rx3115. Long story short, my girlfriend bought me a Zire 72s for Valentines day, the camera on it died after 48 hrs and I upgraded to the rx3115. I am very happy with it so far. I just have figure out how to use it. this is my first PDA. I do have a question or 2.
Has anyone used Skype on it?
(Skype says 400mhz minimum, but was wondering if they are just being safe on that number. ) Thanks in Advance!

-Frank

1. I want to thank you for introducing me to Skype. Its awsome!

My rx3115 works fine with it. I call my friend on his cell phone all the time with it. Very cool service! Its alittle noisy at the cell phone end, and there is of course some lag but that is expected with this type of setup. Still very cool service and its CHEAP. $13 for 10 hours of talk time which is good for 6 months. This is a must for any PDA with built in wifi just to have....

cre8ivepixel
03-06-2005, 07:08 PM
i switched from Palm (loyal fan for years) recently and decided to give the 3115 a whirl! haven't even looked back! right out of the box, the 3115 if far superior than even the top line palm i had with all of the added software. compound that with the added software i've installed and this thing goes EVERYWHERE with me!

rock solid performance, easy to use, loaded with features. the mp3 player is incredible. i can go on and on, but i am probably preaching to the choir, as they say!

Stevepup
03-08-2005, 01:39 AM

I absolutely love my RhinoSkin case... it has already saved my RX3115 several times. I had one for my 1945 I used to have and it saved it from many a disaster. it's a great case! www.saunders-usa.com is where you can find more info about it.

Phrank
03-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Should I go with the hard case or leather case?

Stevepup
03-08-2005, 07:02 AM

I've had experience with both... the metal case will give it more protection... if you drop it on the street or sidewalk, you'll be thankful to have it in a metal case. Trust me!

TheOrange
03-09-2005, 07:03 AM

I have used both as well and will never go back to leather. I haven't dropped my rx3115 (yet), but having dropped my v36 and both of my palms (several times), I will say that the metal case is worth looking into. I borked my digitizer on my palm vx while in a leather case. The device was packed in luggage and was crushed, something that wouldnt have happened if it were in its metal case.

As for Skype: I tried installing it a few months back and it wouldn't work. I can't remember if that was before or after I did the updates from HP...