View Full Version : Axim X30 Firmware Update: Windows Media Player 10 Included!

Jonathon Watkins
10-17-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R87096&sid=&os=Windows_NT&searchtype=age' target='_blank'>http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/fi...&searchtype=age</a><br /><br /></div>Elliott Thornton just sent us an email to say that Dell have released the Axim X30 A05 ROM update. You can get it at the <a href="http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R87096&sid=&os=Windows_NT&searchtype=age">Dell website</a>. It includes various enhancements to the SDIO Bus driver, Bluetooth and Wireless connectivity etc. The big news however, is that apparently it also contains the latest version of Windows Media Player 10 for Pocket PC. So it looks like you won't have to buy a new device after all to get hold of WMP10. :D I wonder how long it will take the other Manufacturers to update their ROMs to include it.... :wink: Have any of you guys had a chance to play with WMP10 on your PPCs yet? What do you think of it and how does it stack up to the other media players out there?<br /><br /><b>Edit:</b> Gwinter helpfully pointed out that on the official Windows Media player Mobile contains the following snippet: <br /><br />"How do I get Player 10 Mobile?<br />Two devices are preloaded: Audiovox SMT-5600 and Dell Axim X50<br />To be upgraded soon: HP iPAQ rx 3000 series and Dell Axim X30"<br /><br />We'll see who else follows thier lead. :)

dhpss
10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp10_mobile.asp
Enjoy!
:D

Darius Wey
10-17-2004, 02:42 PM
What do you think of it and how does it stack up to the other media players out there?

Bob Katayama, Microsoft MVP of Windows Mobile Devices, of which the PPCT team may be familiar with, posted this over at the Pocket PC Magazine forums. (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11303)

For the most part, V10 does not provide anything special if you are using MP3 files only like me.

Bob

Microsoft MVP - Windows Mobile Devices

I don't know if this is realistic, or whether it's just a cheap tactic to convince the public that Microsoft's stance on not freely releasing WMP10 to the public is a justifiable one, but in my opinion, whether or not WMP10 delivers performance, two-thirds of the Pocket PC population shouldn't have to be neglected everytime Microsoft releases new updates.

Boy, you Axim users sure are lucky! Everyday, I have salivatory wishes that HP and Microsoft have sudden changes in heart and decide to provide us previous-generation iPAQ users with WMP10. I tell myself to keep dreaming. :roll:

SHC
10-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I wasnt too bothered about having WMP10 on my iPAQ 4700 but having read a review of it, I will be absolutley incandescent if this is not offerred as an upgrade. To all of us who paid £450 ($700) for a device only 2 weeks before this version of WMP was released it would be the ultimate betrayal to a group of customers who are by and large brand loyal.

Felix Torres
10-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, considering it fully supports Janus-DRM, WMA-lossless, album art, and full auto-synch capabilities (Windows Media Player and Media Center both see it as a PMC), the answer is: Heck, yeah, I want.

The only reason you wouldn't want it is if you're into AAC or ORG, cause album art works MP3s, too...

This *should* be a standard download for every single pocket PC out there, period. If nothing else, it opens up the world of PocketPC to music subscriptions, which is a natural fit with $50 1Gb flash cards.

Think about it: no need to buy a music player or PMC if a big flash card and a subscription will give you all the music your poor battery can handle... ;-)

PS My office mate got delivery of his work-supplied hx4700 5 minutes after leaving friday. (That's Murphy for ya! :twisted: ) I guarantee HP will hear from him by Tuesday if WMP10 isn't a download by the time he's done configuring it. All HP customers should do the same.
Me, I'm strongly leaning to the Dell X50v.

denivan
10-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm really pleased with the purchase of my X30 medium. I was saving up for an HP 2210, but waited long enough to see the X30 arrive and never regretted buying it. Is it me or is Dell at the moment the only PPC supplier that 'Get's it' ?

gwinter
10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
From this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/windowsmobile/default.aspx): How do I get Player 10 Mobile?

Two devices are preloaded: Audiovox SMT-5600 and Dell Axim X50
To be upgraded soon: HP iPAQ rx 3000 series and Dell Axim X30

HP has not decided on upgrades for other devices yet.

Darius Wey
10-17-2004, 04:20 PM
From this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/windowsmobile/default.aspx): How do I get Player 10 Mobile?

Two devices are preloaded: Audiovox SMT-5600 and Dell Axim X50
To be upgraded soon: HP iPAQ rx 3000 series and Dell Axim X30

HP has not decided on upgrades for other devices yet.

Which device do you currently own? The Axim X30 ROM updates with WMP10 Mobile preinstalled are already available, and the rx3000 series should receive their ROM update within the next month.

We are all havng our gripes at the moment if Microsoft has stated that our devices do not receive an update for WMP10 Mobile.

If your PPC doesn't run WM2003SE, I wouldn't be holding your breath.

Artuk
10-17-2004, 04:36 PM
WMP 10 doesnt offer anything that I didnt already get in a better package from gsplayer for music and pocketmvp for video. I never used wm 9, and I have not had occasion to use 10 yet either.

I upgraded to get the performance enhancements to SD and wireless, and also because the mail client now allows for seperate smtp and pop3 logins. That will hopefully let me ditch the performance pig WebIS mail although I have not yet set that up yet.

The rom update is nice, but its not "all that" and I wouldnt get all that excited if your vendor doesnt offer one. There were a few people on aximsite who toasted their axim installing it.. its risky to do a rom update.. and the benefits are marginal when one considers all the third party software out there.

Regards,

Artuk

urologyhealth
10-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Remember this does HARD RESET, so you have to reinstall ALL PROGRAMS AND SETTINGS

js

Jonathon Watkins
10-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Is it me or is Dell at the moment the only PPC supplier that 'Get's it' ?

Not bad at all. I was not too happy with Dell for not offering a PPC2003SE upgrade for the Axim X5, but they did at least offer an upgrade from PPC2002 to PPC2003. I think Dell are doing pretty well at the moment. :D

ahintz
10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
I downloaded and installed the new update on my Axim X30 just now. I got my Axim back with the X30s first came out, and it still had ROM version A00 on it. The upgrade was very smooth, and so far everything seems great. WMP10 is a nice upgrade, and playing some of my DRM music off of MSN Music works great.

--Andrew

mrkablooey
10-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Remember this does HARD RESET, so you have to reinstall ALL PROGRAMS AND SETTINGS

notice the word "reinstall" was used and NOT "restore".

huangzhinong
10-17-2004, 06:58 PM
check this thread
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=54242

denivan
10-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Somehow my WMP10 installation allready seems messed up ;)

I open it and it says 'looking for skins' and there's no skin to select.
Is it possible for anyone to get me the WMP10 skin that comes with the installation ? I don't want to go through the trouble of doing another ROM update and installing all my software again.

Kind regards,

Ivan

PPCMD
10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
HP certainly doesn't get it. If I could get their registration page to work I could get my new hx4700 registered and tell them hop ticked I am. Lets see $650 for their top of the line hx4700 and NO ROM UPDATE. Maybe they will fix the video driver .net issue that cititanic fixed as a temp for us.

alabij
10-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Somehow my WMP10 installation allready seems messed up ;)

I open it and it says 'looking for skins' and there's no skin to select.
Is it possible for anyone to get me the WMP10 skin that comes with the installation ? I don't want to go through the trouble of doing another ROM update and installing all my software again.

Kind regards,

Ivan

You can use the same old WMP9 skin. Just copy any ol' skin to the skin directory in WMP. You canget skins from the MS website

denivan
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Okay, I spent about an hour figuring this out... If anyone wants to upgrade their ROM without having to reinstall all applications, follow this route :

1) Make a full backup off your Axim using the built in backup program
2) Do the ROM update
3) Install a registry program on your Axim and fully export the registry
4) Restore the backup you made
5) Import the registry again.

This way everything should work okay and WMP10 won't crap out, keeping looking for skins etc.

Kind regards,
Ivan

Silencer
10-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Should have bought a Dell again instead of my iPAQ...

The PocketTV Team
10-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Dell's website only says: "Enhance wireless stability. Enhance SDIO bus driver." (in addition to upgrading to WinCE 4.21.1088 build 14260.2.0.2 and WMP10).

Does anyone know the precise list of bug fixes and changes associated with WinCE 4.21.1088 and with this new x30 firmware upgrade ?

In other words, I'd love to see the "Release Notes"...