View Full Version : stop Inbox deleting email?

jeisner
10-17-2004, 06:13 AM
I am fairly new to ppc so sorry if this has been brought up many times before (I did search but couldn't find the answer)

I have been trying out Webis Mail but it is a little overspriced and very buggy (always crashes if I forward email) and as I actually like the built in INBOX program on my XDA II maybe I can solve my problem with that instead....

I recieve my mail on my XDA II with INBOX via GPRS and it works fine but once I receive the mail again on my home PC the mail is obviously deleted from the mail server (thats fine it should be). But the next time I do a 'send and receive' on my PPC it deletes from the PPC all the mail that is no longer on the POP mail server..... How do I turn this annoying 'feature' off? this is the only reason I have been trying webis mail, as it actually keeps the mail like any normal email program does, but in every other way I prefer the built-in INBOX program!

Gareth Lock
10-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Try configuring both MS Outlook and PPC Inbox to leave messages on the server and only delete when deleted from the 'Deleted Items'; this works for me fine.

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

jeisner
10-17-2004, 10:13 AM
So there is no setting (or hack) for INBOX on ppc to not delete messages when it has detected them as no longer being on the server?

csterns
10-19-2004, 11:49 PM
It's a setting you do in Outlook.

jeisner
10-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah you configure in outlook not to delete mail from the server, but my server mailbox space is more limited than the space on my PDA, I would like the mail to stay on the PDA even when the mail is no longer on the mail server, like any normal email program does.... Anyway looks like it can't be done (very silly design by MS) I'll have to stick with Webis Mail...

Gerard
10-21-2004, 07:30 AM
I use nPOPw (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) for my POP3/SMTP mail, all of it. But they have a PC version as well, if you like. Both are free, and in both you can use the Copy To Savebox operation for any number of emails, effectively preventing deletion for as long as you like. When the program is closed, all the DAT files get re-written to updated condition. You can even save those out to a card if you like, as they're just TXT files really, readable in any text editor, and containing full text and header information.

If you like it, get the latest beta through this list (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/beta/), as it's got automated Outlook address listing and other nice features. You can leave mail on the server or mark it for deletion and update as you prefer.

ipaq_wannabe
10-27-2004, 05:04 AM
i would assume that nPOPw works with WM2003?

thanks!!!

ps:it is just that nPOP, the Japanese program nPOPw has been based on hasn't been updated for some time now... and i was wondering if the "internal workings" are not compatible with the latest PPCs

Gerard
10-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Yes, the same 'PPC2002' version I used under PPC2002 works just the same with WM2003. I just copied the whole nPOP folder into the X5 after the upgrade of OS, made a couple of shortcuts, and grabbed my mail. nPOPw is wonderfully 'portable' that way.