View Full Version : Power Supply Standards.. or lack of them...

tigga
10-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Under the subject of "Just Chatting", I'd like to air my frustration regarding power supplies.

What really infuriates me is the constant need, whenever i buy a piece of mobile electrical equipment, to find a new plug socket for the beast of a transform that inevitably comes with it. For example, I have a mobile phone, pda, camera, portable digital music player, GBA SP, etc...

I would like to see a standard power input for all future devices. And whilst i have my magic wand out, i'd like to see the ability to daisy chain them :)

I accept the real world is a little different to my prozac enhanced one but surely in this world of portability, being able to "plug in" anywhere without the need to carry all the "big black boxes" around must soon be around the corner - surely !

I thank you for your time - anyone else feel the need for standardisation :?:

yankeejeep
10-16-2004, 03:42 PM
It isn't the same, but you might want to check on one of the power supply options that allows you to use it on several devices through utilizing connector tips. If I remember correctly, both Belkin and Targus have systems using this. Another promising option is the Zip-Linq system, that uses various retractable USB cords to connect its power supplies (both AC and car chargers) to different devices.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 03:44 PM
The concept certainly is nice yet I doubt such a concept will envelope our digital world anytime soon.

(1) Every country has a different electrical socket, so to ask for universability there is a huge ask to say the least.
(2) Every country has a different voltage rating, so to be able to mass produce portable transformers to suit every voltage rating is again another major ask.
(3) I doubt you will see uniformity of plug sockets for all devices as it depends largely on size and form factor, as well as suitability for the hardware. Would you prefer a round socket or a flat socket? These things vary across all devices and they have their reasons for such variability.

So while the concept is nice, I doubt it will be implemented anytime soon.

My two cents anyway...

KimVette
10-16-2004, 04:22 PM
The concept certainly is nice yet I doubt such a concept will envelope our digital world anytime soon.

(1) Every country has a different electrical socket, so to ask for universability there is a huge ask to say the least.

Not every country is different. Besides there are universal adapter kits for the input power.

(2) Every country has a different voltage rating, so to be able to mass produce portable transformers to suit every voltage rating is again another major ask.

Again, not every country is different. The standards are generally 100V, 110-117V-120V, 208V, and 220V, unless you're talking industrial power service which can be anywhere from 20V to 480V or even in the kilovolt range.

(3) I doubt you will see uniformity of plug sockets for all devices as it depends largely on size and form factor, as well as suitability for the hardware. Would you prefer a round socket or a flat socket? These things vary across all devices and they have their reasons for such variability.

There are a few of reasons device input voltages are not standardized:

1. To keep manufacturing costs down
2. Miniaturize electronics by simplifying the voltage regulation circuits
3. (in some cases, such as HP) to keep the customer coming back to buy EVERY darn thing they need from them and ONLY them, until savvy aftermarket suppliers introduce adapters. This point comes out to very shortsighted greed. On a tangent, by dropping sled/sleeve support and failing to meet the advertised upgradability of PocketPCs, HP has lost me as a customer forever, and making the power supply input a proprietary edge connector, they have sealed that decision because it only drove home the point regarding HOW greed is making them shortsighted and anticonsumer.

So while the concept is nice, I doubt it will be implemented anytime soon.

My two cents anyway...

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 04:27 PM

Not every country is different. Besides there are universal adapter kits for the input power.

I know. But to have a built-in adapter made for every device sold worldwide is another thing. I think the whole point of this thread was to gripe over the fact that you need adapters to be able to use devices from one country to another.

Again, not every country is different. The standards are generally 100V, 110-117V-120V, 208V, and 220V, unless you're talking industrial power service which can be anywhere from 20V to 480V or even in the kilovolt range.

As above...to have something which can modulate all the voltages and to be implemented into a portable power cable solution is a big ask.

Kati Compton
10-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I know. But to have a built-in adapter made for every device sold worldwide is another thing. I think the whole point of this thread was to gripe over the fact that you need adapters to be able to use devices from one country to another.

I thought it was that there were too many adapters on his desk (and my desk as well I might add).

I personally *am* going to be looking at one of those "universal" solutions like the i-go. I really hate having to bring PDA/Laptop/etc AC adapters when I travel. Takes up a lot of room in my bag... It also means I *always* get stopped by security. I think they don't bother people with 1 AC-adapter. But around 2 they start getting antsy, and with 3 it's a definite that they stop me and want to take everything out of my carefully-packed bag. Then I get to watch them ineffectually try to fit everything back in - usually they end up just apologizing and having me do it.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 04:38 PM
I thought it was that there were too many adapters on his desk (and my desk as well I might add).

I personally *am* going to be looking at one of those "universal" solutions like the i-go. I really hate having to bring PDA/Laptop/etc AC adapters when I travel. Takes up a lot of room in my bag... It also means I *always* get stopped by security. I think they don't bother people with 1 AC-adapter. But around 2 they start getting antsy, and with 3 it's a definite that they stop me and want to take everything out of my carefully-packed bag. Then I get to watch them ineffectually try to fit everything back in - usually they end up just apologizing and having me do it.

Oh? :mrgreen: I thought it was about wanting one all-in-one "do-it-all" power cable. If the whole thing was about adapters, then I'm all for the universal solution too! :)

Haha, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just suck tonight! :P

tigga
10-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah sorry if i was unclear. I just felt 5v is 5v. No matter where in the world you are :)

What would be idea is a hub. Almost like you can charge your phone, pda etc via usb. So effectively you'd have 1 central hub (powered by power socket) and everything else charges from that if your with me ?

No need for multiple black boxes....

Maybe it has no merits :?

GSmith
10-17-2004, 03:07 PM
This is easily attainable in a small size. I have an APC Travel Power (similar to the iGo) that is universal input to Auto, Air, and US power plug and outputs a laptop power supply (switchable 15V-20V) and has a 6 inch pigtail with two USB ports on it. I've taken the power pack from the APC Travel Power case and mounted it with velcro in a small Case Logic case.

For the device side, I have Zip-Linq cables for my Pocket PC and my mobile phone. For the power side, get the small physical plug converters for different countries, since the power supply can take power input from 100V-250V and 50Hz or 60Hz. When I change phones or devices, I just need a new retractable Zip-Linq cable (three, actually: read on). When I change laptops, I just need to use a different tip (and change the laptop Voltage switch on the APC device).

On my desk, a 4-port USB hub with Zip-Linq cables for each of my devices. This is not connected to the computer, just the power supply. There are several small/travel USB hubs available, just make sure it comes with a power supply. Great small size charging hub! In my car, I have the Zip-Linq Auto-Power plugged into my lighter, with a Zip-Linq cable (retracted) hanging off of it.

I even carry around an extra power pack in my computer case (AA rechargable batteries) that has a US fold-down plug and a USB port on it for those times when I need extra power for either my phone or my Pocket PC.

The only problem with this solution is that even though most of today's devices can be charged with 500mA (the USB standard/limit), as devices get more hungry for power while charging and syncing, the limits of USB power are being felt. In this case, I think the iPod has it right with the 6-pin FireWire port because FireWire can support more current than USB.

I've been ultralight for years now and this is by far the best solution I've seen in that time. Even most ultralight laptops come with unreasonably large power adapters (Sony's original 505 got this right with an integrated fold-down plug and laptop lead that wraps around it). The APC Travel Power solution gives me great flexibility with the changable tips and USB port. Combined with the retractable Zip-Linq cables, it's smaller than most manufacturer's laptop power supplies, and it can charge all my devices.

tigga
10-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Any chance of a pic ? :)