View Full Version : Here is some exciting news for future handhelds

primaz
10-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Here is a posting I found from another site which I thought I would post. I think we need all need to tell manufacturers that there is a strong need for new handheld devices that have keyboards built in, 1/2 vga type display, and that will fit in a normal suit jacket pocket.

HP might be considering a comeback in the clamshell form factor. I just came across this article. Not so big on details, but the title and some of the content does lend some hope.

HP Considers Handheld PC Comeback

Administrator - PDA Core
PPX Demo - www.ppx3k.com/index.php?op=description;id=571
Sites - www.pdacore.com
:D

Fishie
10-16-2004, 02:25 AM
I couldnt wait so I bought a Sigmarion3 in Japan.

It kicks ass.

Resolution is 800by480 on a 5.1inch screen by the way

Kati Compton
10-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Got a link for that news?

Fishie
10-16-2004, 03:33 AM
The link if I recall correctly is about 6 months old and talked about here long ago.
That is if my memory doesnt fail me here(it rarely does) so it wouldnt be of much use here Kati.

scoobie
12-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi ,

I am newbie to handhelds. I am sourcing for a pocket pc.

I heard of windows CE long ago and seems to me its a old technology only found in devices like HP Jornada 960 etc and its been replaced by Palm OS, Win Mobile etc. Correct?

Reason for asking is I want to avoid buying devices which are on the way out.

Btw , is there a Windows Mobile Ppc resembling the design of HP Jornada?

Fishie
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Nope PPCs run WinCE, PPC is just a shell over Windows CE

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 05:20 AM
I heard of windows CE long ago and seems to me its a old technology only found in devices like HP Jornada 960 etc and its been replaced by Palm OS, Win Mobile etc. Correct?

Windows Mobile is just sourced from Windows CE. Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition run variants of Windows CE 4.2 - Second Edition being the newer one.

The closest I can think of is the HP iPAQ hx2000 series.

andrewjhscott
01-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Test reply....ignore.

Sven Johannsen
01-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi ,

I am newbie to handhelds. I am sourcing for a pocket pc.

Reason for asking is I want to avoid buying devices which are on the way out.

Which Jornada? The 960 type which you mention, or the 560 type. The former is not a PocketPC. It is in a class of devices known as Handheld PCs, generally having a full (though small) keyboard and a wide screen format in a clamshell device. No, there are no WM2003 such devices. (yet, he dreams)

If you mean the 568 Jornada's, which were PPCs, then all the current PPCs resemble that design, within limits of our definition of resemble. They are all touch screen, portrait orientation, few hardware button, external memory slot or two devices. The super functional, solid, integral, flip top of the Jornada line though has yet to be duplicated.