View Full Version : Support For PocketLookout Stopped

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2004, 06:00 PM
<a href="http://www.vonkensoftware.com/lookout/">http://www.vonkensoftware.com/lookout/</a><br /><br />This has been posted at the Pocket Lookout site: CEO's note:<br />Due to internal reasons, all activities of Pocket Lookout have been stopped.<br />Because of this, Lookout's price has been dropped from $20 to $10, but no support is included.<br />Only support for previous registered users is given (please use the include your purchase-number and date when emailing us).<br />I know a number of you are using this product to sync other folders from Outlook, including Exchange public folders. It seems this is about to end. I hate to see a product that fills a particular niche so well be phased out.

thanos255
10-15-2004, 06:40 PM
What seems weird is this.

On handango ALONE they have had 15064 downloads.

Lets say only 1/2 purchased. That is 7500 purchased at $20 a piece, that is $150k.

Lets say they give $15k to handango for whatever they charge. That is still $135k form the product which as only been out for about a year.

That is NOT including other sites that are selling it!

I hate to wonder what INTERNAL things could have shut it down :(

Very good product.

applejosh
10-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, I personally doubt half purchased, and Handango takes more than 10%, IIRC. (I know there was some debate on many forums about them taking the percentage up to 35% or more.) Still, I wonder what the internal problems were. (Unfortunately, this is the first time I've heard of Lookout.)

AZMark
10-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Most likely brought in only around 30K, which is part time wages, and when support becomes a full time job, wives become a very big internal issue.

DinarSoft
10-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Lets say only 1/2 purchased. That is 7500 purchased at $20 a piece, that is $150k.

Lets say they give $15k to handango for whatever they charge. That is still $135k form the product which as only been out for about a year.

Very good product.
Having 1/2 of the downloads as purchased customers can't be true regardless what the product is.
If you re-download (for upgrade, or for re-install, or for any other reason) this still counts as a download.
In best cases the purchase to download ratio is only 10-20%

As also said before HandAnGo takes out 40-50% of the revenu to themselves (and they have the right to offer up to 25% discount on any product without the developer's permission)

Now, you do the math again

thanos255
10-15-2004, 07:44 PM

Very good product.
Having 1/2 of the downloads as purchased customers can't be true regardless what the product is.
If you re-download (for upgrade, or for re-install, or for any other reason) this still counts as a download.
In best cases the purchase to download ratio is only 10-20%

As also said before HandAnGo takes out 40-50% of the revenu to themselves (and they have the right to offer up to 25% discount on any product without the developer's permission)

Now, you do the math again

Not being a developer I had now way of knowing this.

But handango can take that muc? without developers permission??

Thanks is just plain wrong.

hfann
10-15-2004, 08:16 PM
You can pretty much do anything if you are the biggest mobile software retailer in the world! :( That being said, Handango can provide you with a huge customer base and exposure on manufacturer websites. This is how capitalism works! :?

DinarSoft
10-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Not being a developer I had now way of knowing this.

But handango can take that muc? without developers permission??

Thanks is just plain wrong.

We don't want to change the subject of this thread but recently HandAnGo launched another "funny" program

It's a special account that you get with HandAnGo which will give you 20% discount on any title (this discount is taken from the devloper's pocket)

And the funny thing is, you have to pay 10$ for this account (which will completly go to HandAnGo's pocket).
This is basicly more money for them other than the normal 40-50% :(

whydidnt
10-15-2004, 09:05 PM
I have to say that I'm impressed that they aren't dropping support for those customers that purchased under the old pricing model. You don't always see that kind of committment from developers when they make this sort of decision.

pmgibson
10-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Going back to the original subject, is there an alternative to Lookout that will do the same or similar thing?