View Full Version : It's Baaaaack

GerBear
10-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Sorry if this is just ignorance on my part, but I can't seem to get a duplicate folder to go away.

I delete it on my HP 4150 and it comes back with the next synch. I tried to find it by exploring desktop app. and only find 1 instance of the folder. I've tried deleting both folders (one with my files in it and the persistent empty one) as well as re-naming the folder. All with the same results.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here, please?

ironguy
10-14-2004, 04:23 PM
It sounds like it's a folder that resides in your My Docs Active Sync folder and gets re-synced every time. Open your AS folder on your PC and check. Otherwise... don't know.

JimPAQ
10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
As an fyi, you can find your synchronizing folder by opening ActiveSync, selecting Options from the menu, selecting Files from the list of objects, and clicking the Settings button. The path to your currently synchronized folder will be displayed.

I only bring this up because my synchronized folder changed at some point and I was adding/removing stuff from the wrong folder and didn't know it until I checked.

--Jim

GerBear
10-15-2004, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have tried the suggestions you've made in the past with the same results. The folder keeps cloning. Not the contents, just the folder.

I have looked in the exact places you both mentioned. I've even tried renaming the "good" folder one more time. It replicated with the new name.

What next???

uzetaab
10-17-2004, 02:46 PM
What about checking the synced file list in active sync. It's the same box that shows where your current sync folder is. Someone mentioned it in a previous post. It also has a list of files to sync. This should be the second box & have a list of files there. I was able to add a file that is not in my sync folder. Make sure you look carefully though, cause it didn't list the location, only the file.

Have you tried a simple software restart?

I get a similar problem sometimes when I reinstall an app to the PPC especially if I remove it & reinstall it from say my storage card to the device memory. The only way I've found to be able to get rid of the files is to completely remove the software from both my PPC & my PC. Then software reset my PPC before reinstalling the program.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

GerBear
10-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Unless there is an additional listing I'm confusing with the list of files to sync, I've been unable to locate the errant folder in any sync option people have been kind enough to mention.

I do find it in the "Shared Pocket PC documents" folder on the desktop PC. Interestingly, I've discovered the folder shows up here before it re-appears in the PPC?? I can delte it and it will not then replicate on the handheld (until the next time...)

Any ideas?

uzetaab
10-18-2004, 02:14 PM
What is the program that the folder is for?
And what is the folder for?

It sounds like the problem is with the program. it keeps recreating the folder to sync between devices. You have two options if this is the case.

Method 1: Look in every option & setting in the program & see if you can figure out why it keeps duplicating the folder. Also check your user created stuff, you may have accidentally created two folders in the program & need to delete one.

Method 2: copy the data files that you created (like save games, if it's a game). Then just uninstall both the PC & PPC software, making sure that every file & folder is gone (apart from the ones you backed up) from both devices. Uninstall programs do not always delete every file & folder.
Then restart the PC & software reset the PPC. Finally, reinstall the program.

It depends on how big the program is as to which is gunna be easier, but the most likely way to succeed is with method 2.

GerBear
10-19-2004, 03:06 AM
The program is the native "Notes" program. I use this folder to store a particular type of client info (there are several others I use for similar info without the problem.)

Not sure I'm confident enough to uninstall programs in RAM. It's annoying but not much more. Having looked in every program foler and file I could think of, I was hoping for somewhere else to look.

GerBear
10-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry. I meant ROM not RAM.

uzetaab
10-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that program, but someone else here probably is. They may know where to look in the program to fix the duplication.

As for uninstalling it, it's just like in windows.
You open activesync
Click on tools
Click on add remove software
Select the program
click on remove
wait for it to finish then check the device screen.
It will probalby say it couldn't remove some files/folders, but since the program is no longer there, it's safe to remove them.

Two things to note, if one of the files is *.dll, don't delete it. it's probably ok to, but better safe than sorry. if you want to remove a program from just the PPC, you uncheck the tick box.

*Important* Finally, like I said before, make sure you copy the client list files to another directory first. then you can copy them back after reinstalling the program. Just make sure to note where they were located.

Or you could of couse, just email the program maker & see if they know how to fix it.