View Full Version : What Are The Options For Exporting Music From iTunes For PPC Use?

MikeUnwired
10-14-2004, 05:56 AM
Ok, I sold my iPOD and want to load my totally LEGAL library of music that I've collected in iTunes without burning a whole bunch of CDs and then re-encoding the tracks. I'm getting the impression that this isn't possible.

Not to split hairs, but I guess I would be willing to burn tracks to a DVD as I can get many more tracks per disc on the export and then set-up a system to encode them over for the PPC with a minimum of work. So, is it possible to cut the tracks from iTunes to a DVD or does it have to be a stack of CDs?

MikeUnwired
10-15-2004, 03:44 PM
WOW, the silence is deafening on this topic!

I finally copied all my purchased music over to CDs -- it took only 10. Then the wonderfulness started. I went to encode them to WM -- that's not a problem -- BUT, the tracks all came over with NO song or artist info. There isn't a setting in iTunes to make that happen (at least that I could find), so, I got to export the playlist to a text file, open it in Excel and then copy/paste the song title and artist for each track I ripped -- all 175 of them.

Now, after that, I synced them to my hx4700 -- not a problem at all -- it was smooth. HOWEVER, now, I have the song title and artist, but the file name is still goofy (01 01 Track01.wma) and such. I'm going to have to go back in and change the file name to the song title for all 175 tracks.

Needless to say, while I found iTunes to be a really nice system for buying LEGALLY owned music, I'll NEVER be buying another tune from them again. It's too hard to get the music out of their for other totally LEGAL uses. If you'll always use an iPod, you're fine, but, heaven forbid you go with another system at some point.

Kati Compton
10-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah - when I've done it, I've burned a CD and then re-ripped. There's no artist/song info because when you burn the CD it's just the music itself that gets burned. When you're ripping a regular CD and the info gets filled in it's because there's a code that identifies *which* CD it is, and the program goes over the internet to somewhere like CDDB to get the title/artist info for you (which someone else was kind enough to type in off of the liner notes, hopefully without spelling/capitalization errors).

surur
10-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Mike, Im sorry that I dont watch this forum regularly, else I could have saved you a lot of trouble.

You could have used a free tool called Hymn (which for DMCA reasons I wont link to) which will convert (en masse even) your m4p tracks to m4a, unprotected aac tracks. It will preserve the titles, artwork and meta-information (including your name and itunes ID), and will make a copy of the file, leaving the original file untouched. After importing this music into itunes, Itunes itself will be nice enough to convert these to mp3's f you ask it, again preserving the file name, meta -tags and artwork.

Not suitable for piracy, but certainly very fair and good for personal use of your own purchased music.

Again, Im sorry I did not see your question before you did all the work. You may still want to do this (again) though, as it will preserve the very lovely album art thats included in itunes, and will generate mp3's, which are more universally usable than wma's.

Surur