View Full Version : increase Volume for video files?

sixsixty
10-14-2004, 12:03 AM
this is 1 or maybe 2 questions. (for ref. i'm on a e755 wm2003)

first, what i need to do is increase the volume to my headphones when i watch videos on my ppc. some videos are loud enough and thats great, some are waay too soft.

so question part 1. is there a program for ppc that can raise the volume louder than the default wm2003 volume slider. i know i can get more volume out of this thing, it's just that the video is encoded to soft.

question part 2. is there a way to raise the volume of an encoded clip "without" re-encoding or changing the video file. i just want the volume to get a boost and leave the video all alone. (for reference, i have cleaner 5 and xl, so i can use that to encode). is this possible?

question part 2b. if none of these are possible, what's the best way to encode a clip to get the most volume out of it. i'm coming from an .avi file or .mpg file and i drop it in cleaner, i turn the volume adjust all the way up. and it's still a bit soft.

ok. any info would be lovely.

thanks.

Kowalski
10-15-2004, 06:28 AM
i am using pocketdivxencoder , you should try it too. it has an option just for what you want to do.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Normally, when you encode things, try to normalise the audio. It's the best way to avoid these "soft-volume" problems.

jagnon
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
hello, if you have an already encoded video file and the volume is too low, the easiest method is to run it through VirtualDub (free prog)... With it you can do modifications to either the video or audio stream.. for video just use original stream, but for audio, select full processing and change the volume level.

this operation should be very quick, since it is just adjusting volume.. when I did it the operation took 40 secs for a 200mb divx avi file..